Round 1 – 13/4/58 (Bye)


Round 2 – 20/4/58

Wests 20 d Wynnum Manly 13 (Oxenham Park)

In a rough-house match at Oxenham Park, the classy Wests side was forced to call upon all its resources to hold Wynnum-Manly 20-13.  The match was fiery throughout, with ill-feeling from both sides erupting into a ferocious all-in brawl which referee Col Wright was powerless to stop. 

Even after the main fight had ended, up to eight players were still ‘sorting out their differences’ for a full minute before calm was restored.  Although no one was dismissed, Marshall Barnfield of Wynnum-Manly and Joe Jackson of Wests looked much worse for wear as they both received ambulance attention. 

Riling the crowd even more was the fact that baysiders pivot Bobby Cook raced away to score a try while the brawl was in full swing.  Young Wests halfback Barry Muir also seemed to instigate some of the fiery situations, and appeared to be heavily involved in the main fracas. The torrid first half left Wests leading 13-7 at the break, with sensation continuing after the resumption. With scrums often flaring into scuffles, referee Wright gave rival captains Keith Brown and Doug Hamilton the option of removing their hookers or having them sent off for continual scrum breaches. Both hookers – Doyle of Wests and Lewis of Wynnum – were then moved into prop forward positions. 

When football was actually played, it was top class. However the loss of half Royce McFadden by the baysiders took much of the impetus out of their attack. Then when stand-in half Brian Phillips broke a rib, he was forced to finish the second half out of position on the wing. Doug Hamilton and Barry Muir were the outstanding players throughout the match for Wests, while Barnfield and Cook were the strongest performers for Wynnum-Manly.

Scorers: Wests 20 (Erickson 2, Weir, B.Bertwhistle, McKenzie, Londy tries; Stevens 1 goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 13 (B.Cook 2, M.Barnfield tries; B.Phillips 2 goals)


Round 3 – 27/4/58

Norths 38 d Wynnum Manly 20 (Oxenham Park)

Not even three slashing tries by Keith Brown could prevent Wynnum-Manly crashing 38-20 to a plucky Norths at Oxenham Park. Establishing an early 11-nil lead, the sky-blues playing on their own home ground, were in control from the outset. 

Only one period late in the first half was dominated by their baysiders, as Keith Brown and Bobby Cook made continual line busts, resulting in an 11-all scoreline by the break. However, after the resumption it was all Norths, with Bob Poulsen, Bob Lucas, Bill Pearson and Bill Thomas proving too hard for the injury-stricken Wynnum-Manly defence to contain. 

Although somewhat of a drab second half, Norths made the most of their opportunities as they penetrated the Wynnum defence almost at will to score another five tries. The only sour note for Norths, was an apparently serious injury to hooker Graham Rogers, who had to be carried from the field. 

Scorers: Norths 38 (Cox 2, F.Metassa, D.Dall, B.Thomas, B.Poulsen, B.Lucas, Hassum tries; D.Dall 7 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 20 (Brown 3, M.Green, B.Cook, T.Fouras tries; R.Fox 1 goal)


Round 4 – 4/5/58

Wynnum Manly 34 d Easts 16 (Davies Park)

Wynnum Manly winger Brian Phillips had a great day with the boot kicking 8 goals from 10 attempts

Wynnum-Manly recorded a comprehensive victory at Davies Park, their first for the season, with a resounding 34-16 thumping of Easts. Dominating scrums and field position throughout the match, the baysiders scored early and led all afternoon. 

Halves Norm Johnson and Bobby Cook were the unabashed stars of the match, causing havoc whenever they had possession, and continually punching holes in the Tigers defence. Cook also crossed for two terrific tries which brought the crowd to its feet. although only scoring six tries to four, it was the brilliant goal-kicking of Brian Phillips, landing eight of ten attempts, which provided a large portion of the difference. 

Although Des Fitzgerald, Nev Brett and Wally Reynolds tried hard for Easts, they were no match for a Wynnum side eager to launch their 1958 season.  Wynnum Manly will be looking to repeat this performance against Souths next week.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 34 (B.Cook 2, R.Groundwater 2, T.Fouras, B.Greenhill tries; B.Phillips 8 goals) defeated Easts 16 (Reynolds 2, Bruton, N.Brett Tries; S.Neave 1, Fitzgerald 1 goals)


Round 5 – 11/5/58

Wynnum Manly 16 d Souths 9 (Davies Park)

In a rugged encounter at Davies Park, Wynnum-Manly held on gamely to outlast Souths 16-9 in a bright match.  Souths started the game well, with five-eighth Ken Pryor and forwards Fred Proberts and Des Crabbe the dominant players. However the tight 6-3 lead was quickly erased by the red-and-greens after the resumption, with pivot Bobby Cook and backrower Marshall Barnfield proving unstoppable.  Theo Fouras was another Wynnum player to impress, and was rewarded with a good try. 

Although the match had a number of fiery exchanges in the forwards, it was free of any real foul play.  However, Souths fullback Des Halmarson (shoulder) and Wynnum lock Brian Phillips (jaw) were both taken to hospital for precautionary measures.  Taking over the goal-kicking duties, Cook added two goals to his superb long-range try for a crucial points contribution. 

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 16 (D.Townsend 2, B.Cook, T.Fouras tries; Cook 2 goals) defeated Souths 9 (Hungerford, K.Pryor, S.Conomo tries)


Round 6 – 18/5/58

Valleys 27 d Wynnum Manly 20 (Lang Park)

In a match marred by poor handling from both sides, Valleys showed their class by comfortably downing Wynnum-Manly 27-20 at Lang Park. the game was easily the most disappointing staged at league headquarters that season to date, with the only bright spots being from isolated runs by prop-forward Geoff O’Brien of Valleys, and Keith Brown and Rex Fox of Wynnum-Manly. 

Adding to the merit of the Diehards victory, was the fact that six regular first-graders were missing. although pivot Bobby Cook had a quiet game, the baysiders outside backs did most of the attacking in the first stanza, establishing a 10-2 lead after 28 minutes, for a 10-7 halftime score. 

Brown and winger Jim Geraghty were the baysiders first half try scorers. Upon resumption after the break, Valleys piled on 10 points in six minutes – a period Wynnum-Manly never recovered from. They found themselves continually deep inside their own half as a result of great kicking in general play from Valleys halves Des Mannion and Bill Kluss. 

Two late tries by Keith Brown gave him a personal tally of three for the match, but the Diehards victory had already been assured.

Scorers: Valleys 27 (G.O’Brien 2, Bartholomai, D.Davies, O’Connor tries; Hansen 6 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 20 (K.Brown 3, J.Geraghty tries; D.Townsend 4 goals)


Round 7 – 25/5/58

Wynnum Manly 27 drew Brothers 27 (Lang Park)

Wynnum Manly captain Keith Brown clutching at thin air as Mick Shannon accelerates

Wynnum-Manly produced a Jekyll-and-Hyde performance to steal an unexpected 27-all draw at Lang Park, and knocking Brothers out of the Presidents Cup final in the process. 

In a strange mixture of attacking brilliance and fumbling inefficiency both sides ran hot and cold in the first half, the score favouring the baysiders 17-13 at the break. Upon the resumption though, Wynnum-Manly found it difficult to control the ball, and the Brethren took ascendancy. Sharp rucking play from the O’Connor brothers and hooker Phil Coman, saw Brothers pile on 14 unanswered points to establish an apparent match-winning 27-17 lead. 

Then against the run of play, Wynnum-Manly half Noel Johnson scooted through a small gap and scampered in for a crucial try. Cook converted for the baysiders, and they were now in the game with a chance. The Brothers forwards suddenly seemed disorganised, and the Wynnum-Manly halves Johnson and Cook took the match by the scruff. Right on full-time, hooker Keith Lewis mad a mockery of the Brethren defence – or lack of it – and strolled in beneath the posts unhindered. Cook then easily landed the conversion after the bell to snatch the draw. 

Again Bobby Cook starred for Wynnum-Manly, with two tries and two goals for the match. He outpaced the Brothers cover defence after intercepting on halfway for his first try, then was smart enough to scoot away for another when the Brothers players became more interested in joining in to a fight in one corner of the ground.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 27 (J.Geraghty 2, B.Cook 2, N.Johnson, M.Barnfield, L.Greenhill tries; Cook 2, B.Greenhill 1 goal) drew with Brothers 27 (N.Garvey 2, Bullock 2, Petersen, Lyons, Herbert tries; Scott 3 goals)


Round 8 – 1/6/58 (Bye)


Round 9 – 2/7/58 (Postponed match due to weather) 

Wests 17 d Wynnum Manly 12 (Exhibition Grounds) *night match

In the main match of the double-header at the Brisbane Exhibition grounds, Wests proved marginally too strong for Wynnum-Manly, winning a scrappy match 17-12.

Although current competition leaders, the red and blacks looked far from a premiership side, with their forwards often squandering possession, or not passing wide when opportunities arose. Ron McKenzie, Barry Muir, Col Weir and Darryl Stevens played some of the brightest football for the victors, while halves Green and Cook were among the best for Wynnum.

Cook came close to scoring on a couple of occasions, but only showed flashes of his brilliance in general play. Keith Brown did not have his usual spectacular match, but was still dangerous whenever he ran the ball. Theo Fouras and Marshall Barnfield, while still making ground up the middle for the baysiders, did not run with their usual purpose.

McKenzie showed plenty of pace when he ran the ball, and the Wynnum-Manly defence was caught napping on many occasions. Eventually he had the leave the field late in the match with a suspected broken hand.

Scorers: Wests 17 (D.Stevens, Erickson, Day tries; Stevens 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 12 (M.Green, K.Brown tries; A.Birks 3 goals)


Round 10 – 15/6/58

Wynnum Manly 20 d Norths 14 (Lang Park)

Wynnum Halfback Neddy Green takes out this Norths player assisted by John Geraghty

Wynnum-Manly withstood a ferocious late onslaught from Norths to register a timely 20-14 victory at Lang Park. With both sides intent on focusing on forwards dominance, neither side was able to play bright open football. 

At times the match bogged down in tight rucking from both teams, but Marshall Barnfield again shone with limited opportunities. Barnfield’s performance also earned him the Courier Mail weekly ₤2 bonus. Leading by a slender 11-8 at half time, Norths leveled the scores at 11-all before Wynnum-Manly used sheer forwards strength to close out a win which kept them in touch with the competition’s leading teams.

Wynnum five-eighth Bobby Cook crossed twice and was again the attacking inspiration for the victors, capped by one particularly super try. On one of the few times the baysiders swung the ball wide, Cook trailed his three-quarter line, before taking a snappy pass 40 yards out from the line. He then evaded four would-be tacklers in a weaving run before flashing over in the corner. another top performer for Wynnum was Theo Fouras, who worked well with Barnfield for the full 80 minutes. Halfback Green was also nippy around the ruck for Wynnum-Manly, and tackled soundly along with centre Rex Fox. 

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 20 (B.Cook 2, J.Geraghty, R.McFadden, K.Lewis, B.Greenhill tries; B.Greenhill 1 goal) defeated Norths 14 (Cox 2, F.Metassa 2 tries; Dall 1 goal)


Round 11 – 22/6/58

W/Manly 23 d Easts 22 (Davies Park)

Wynnum-Manly pulled off a houdini act at Davies Park, when they escaped with a nail biting 23-22 win over local rivals Easts. Having fought back gamely from 14-7 down at half time, Wynnum-Manly trailed 22-18 inside the final minute of play, when halves Bobby Cook and Royce McFadden engineered a spectacular backline attacking move, which finished with winger Jim Geraghty flashing down the touch line to dive over in the corner for his second of the match. With full time expired, Alf Birks launched a magnificent high sideline conversion which sailed right over the middle of the crossbar for a memorable Wynnum victory. 

The match was simply outstanding, with both sides using their pacy backlines to attack at every opportunity. The noisy crowd was kept enthralled during the game as it ebbed and flowed from one end to the other. Ron Groundwater’s bumping charge to spectacularly force his way over in the second half, was also another high point in the match. Marshall Barnfield and Theo Fouras were among the best forwards on the field, with Easts Joe Baker and Les Nelson close behind. Other players to stand out included Birks and McFadden of Wynnum and McColl and Risman from Easts.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 23 (J.Geraghty 2, R.McFadden, B.Cook, R.Groundwater tries; A.Birks 4 goals) defeated Easts 22 (Fitzgerald, McColl, Risman, L.Nelson tries; S.Neave 5 goals)


Round 12 – 29/6/58

Souths 15 d Wynnum Manly 10 (Davies Park)

Leading from the front, Souths rugged skipper Fred Proberts starred in his side’s thrilling 15-10 victory over Wynnum-Manly at Davies Park. The game was close throughout, but with minimal defensive lapses on offer from the magpies, there was no fairytale finish for the baysiders like a week earlier. 

Souths strength was in the forwards, where Proberts and backrower Mick Veivers battled hard all day to contain the likes of Bob Greenhill, Theo Fouras and Marshall Barnfield. Both sides used their strengths during the afternoon, Souths in the forwards, while Wynnum’s most potent attacking weapon was the lightning-fast Bobby Cook at five-eighth, and Keith Brown in the centres. 

For Souths, their best backs were Brisbane representative Des Hendry and Graham Symes. While Des Hendry scored the first try of the match, the baysiders barnstorming forwards hit back quickly with Greenhill crashing through from close range. 

Scorers: Souths 15 (D.Hendry, G.Symes, Carr tries; Hendry 3 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 12 (B.Cook, B.Greenhill tries; A.Birks 2 goals)


Round 13 – 6/7/58

W/Manly 29 d Valleys 21 (Oxenham Park)

Wynnum Manly’s halfback Neddy Green was outstanding with a try and was very smart in general play

Wynnum-Manly pulled off perhaps their greatest form reversal in their short history, when they defeated Valleys 29-21 at Oxenham Park.  Five-eighth Bobby Cook and centre Keith Brown, with three tries between them, tore the Diehards defence to shreds in an amazing second half recovery, after trailing 21-6 at the break. 

Wynnum-Manly’s barnstorming second-rower Marshall Barnfield turned in another superb performance with big crashing runs and gibraltar-like tackling, with brilliant support play leading to his two tries.  His near-faultless effort saw him gain a spot in Brisbane’s Bulimba Cup side for the upcoming match against Toowoomba. Birks also chimed in with a handy try and four goals. 

Valleys appeared to have the match sewn up at half time, with forward Darby Soper and centres Dick Davies and Mick Mulgrew playing outstanding football and running through the baysiders defence at will, also scoring four of the Diehards five tries.  However, after the resumption, the men in royal blue were unable to control the ball, and continually handed over possession within their own half.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 29 (K.Brown 2, M.Barnfield 2, A.Birks, M.Green, B.Cook tries; Birks 4 goals) defeated Valleys 21(D.Davies 2, M.Mulgrew, O’Connor, Soper tries; Hansen 3 goals)


Round 14 – 13/7/58

Brothers 26 d W/Manly 14 (Lang Park)

Theo Fouras stood out for the Baysiders

Brisbane lock Brian O’Connor played a simply outstanding match at Lang Park, to lead his Brothers side to a comprehensive 26-14 win against Wynnum-Manly. O’Connor was in everything, attack and defence, and thoroughly deserved his fine solo try for his efforts. He also made the break and set up one for Jim Gallagher, as well as making two certain try-saving tackles. 

The Brethren attacked the baysiders hard from the start of the match, and dominating all aspects of the first stanza, had established a match-winning 15-nil lead by the break. although Wynnum-Manly came back somewhat in the second half, Brothers were never really troubled for the win. 

Wynnum-Manly halfback Green and five-eighth Cook were as penetrating as ever, and both crossed for tries in the second period. Again it was Marshall Barnfield and Theo Fouras who stood out in the baysiders forwards. 

Brothers forward Herbert also played well and scored a solid first half try, while pivot Vince Hoare and centre Morrie Lyons both proved to be match winners.

Scorers: Brothers 26 (M.Lyons 2, F.Melit, B.O’Connor, Herbert, J.Gallagher tries; J.Gallagher 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 14 (K.Brown, B.Cook, M.Green, R.Groundwater tries; Birks 1 goal)


Round 15 – 20/7/58 (Bye)


Round 16 – 27/7/58

Wests 42 d W/Manly 20 (Lang Park)

Wests Alan McMillan put Wynnum to the sword with a personal tally of 21 points for the game

In an entertaining and high-scoring match, Wests took advantage of a tiring Wynnum-manly defence late in the match to run out comfortable 42-20 winners at Lang Park.  The good crowd was treated to a fine display of open-style attacking rugby league for the majority of the match, before the red and blacks ran in three late tries during the final 15 minutes. 

Star of the match was undoubtedly Wests prop-forward Alan McMillan, who rattled up a personal tally of 21 points from three tries and six goals.  Two of his tries came from superb positioning to cut through the baysiders defence, while the third he showed great strength to crash through the defence from close range.  His defence was also a standout feature. 

Wynnum-Manly probably did not deserve to lose by such a margin, but against such classy opposition, they needed to last the full 80 minutes if they were to remain a competitive force in the competition.

Scorers: Wests 42 (A.McMillan 3, B.Muir 2, B.Bertwhistle, Erickson, Beck, Hamilton, Orchard tries; McMillan 6 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 20 (J.Balderson, B.Cook, M.Barnfield, R.McFadden tries; A.Birks 4 goals)


Round 17 – 3/8/58

W/Manly 39 d Norths 18 (Davies Park)

Wynnum Manly winger John Geraghty chimed in with two tries

Wynnum-Manly took a share of fourth position on the premiership table, when they methodically hammered Norths 39-18 before a solid crowd at Davies Park. Running in 11 tries during the afternoon, the Baysiders comprehensively tore their hapless opponents apart. 

A comfortable 14-3 lead at the break effectively put Norths out of the contest, but sterling performances by backrower Marshall Barnfield with three tries, five-eighth Bobby Cook and three-quarter Keith Brown attacking at will, ensured Wynnum-Manly maintained control of the match. Winger Jim Geraghty and Balderson also chimed in with two tries each, both thoroughly outplaying their opponents. 

Norths had no answer to the brilliant kicking game of the Wynnum halves, and struggled to get out of their own half for most of the match.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 39 (M.Barnfield 3, J.Geraghty 2, J.Balderson 2, B.Cook, K.Brown, N.Meurant, R.McFadden tries; Birks 3 goals) defeated Norths 18 (B.Thomas, Catton tries; D.Dall 6 goals)


Round 18 – 10/8/58

W/Manly 17 d Easts 10 (Davies Park)

A solid 17-10 victory over local rivals Easts at Davies Park, placed Wynnum-Manly in outright fourth position only three weeks before the semi-finals. Again it was star second-rower Marshall Barnfield who led the charge, with powerhouse runs in attack and stonewall tackling in defence. 

With pivot Bobby Cook crossing twice and controlling the play throughout the match, Easts continually found themselves on the back foot from Cook’s brilliant kicking game.  Leading 10-2 at the break, the Baysiders withstood some determined Tigers attack from Col McCartney, Wally Reynolds and Barry Risman.  However, the victors always managed to hold their opponents at arms length, capping off the win with a sizzling second try to Cook, which had the crowd in raptures.   Another player to impress was the promoted Noel Meurant, who slotted into the first grade side like a seasoned campaigner.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 17 (B.Cook 2, A.Birks tries; Birks 2, B.Phillips 2 goals) defeated Easts 10 (N.Brett, Rogers tries; S.Neave 2 goals)


Round 19 – 17/8/58

W/Manly 25 d Souths 14 (Davies Park)

Winger John Geraghty and five-eighth Bobby Cook were the undoubted stars in a rip-roaring 25-14 win for Wynnum-Manly against Souths at Davies Park.  Geraghty and Cook with five tries between them took the match by the throat with splendid performances. 

Actually trailing 12-11 at half time, the Baysiders powered into top gear after the resumption to steamroll the floundering Magpies.  Marshall Barnfield continued his good form, his ongoing battle with Souths’ Mick Veivers providing a big highlight. The match was played at top pace throughout, with the see-sawing battle of the first half keeping the big crowd on its feet. 

The poor goal-kicking of Wynnum-Manly was possibly the only area of concern for captain/coach Keith Brown.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 25 (J.Geraghty 3, B.Cook 2, R.McFadden 2 tries; B.Phillips 2 goals) defeated Souths 14 (Townsend, Pryor tries; Hendry 4 goals)


Round 20 – 24/8/58

Valleys 31 d W/Manly 16 (Lang Park)

The main game of the round turned into a one-sided rout at Lang Park, when second-placed Valleys crushed Wynnum-Manly 31-16. It was a good day at the office for the famous Diehards, with solid wins in all three grades. The good form of the past month was not on show for the fourth-placed Baysiders, with poor handling preventing them from mounting any sustained attack. 

As if to make the victory all that much sweeter, Valleys were without four of their topline players, including Bulimba Cup representatives Mel Hansen and Mick Mulgrew. Valleys halves Bill Kluss and Des Mannion were unstoppable in attack, and combined with mercurial fullback Norm Pope’s superb kicking, Wynnum-Manly struggled to find position on the field. 

Trailing 15-nil at the break, the Baysiders mounted a short comeback with two tries to pivot Bobby Cook. However, the Diehards had too much class across the field, hitting top form to put the victory beyond doubt. Best players during the match were Pope, Bob Gerhke and Ray Paulsen for Valleys, while Marshall Barnfield and Keith Brown shone for Wynnum-Manly.

Scorers: Valleys 31 (Davies 2, Shields 2, N.Pope, D.Mannion, B.Kluss tries; Pope 5 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 16 (B.Cook 2, J.Balderson, K.Brown tries; B.Phillips 1, A.Birks 1 goals)


Round 21 – 31/8/58

Brothers 30 d W/Manly 14 (Davies Park)

A substantial class difference was the major talking point after fulltime, when Brothers dominated every aspect of the match to comfortably down Wynnum-Manly 30-14 at a packed Davies Park, without star players Brian Davies and Mick Shannon who were being rested. 

Leading only 9-8 at half time, the Brethren crushed the tiring Wynnum-Manly forward pack after the resumption with relative ease. The Baysiders had no answer to the attacking and defensive onslaught led by Barry and Brian O’Connor, along with the hard-running Peter Gallagher. Winger Frank Melit enjoyed his stint being moved to halfback, where he scored two of his three great tries. Giant winger Noel Garvey was also too powerful for his opposite John Balderson, crashing through for two tries. 

However, it was the ever scheming Bobby Cook who brought the crowd to its feet, when he scored perhaps the try of the season, after a swerving 75-yard run saw him outmaneuver practically the entire Brothers side to cross near the posts. 

For Brothers, their entire forward pack was hard to fault, with Vince Hoare playing the house down at pivot. Marshall Barnfield was again the best of the vanquished, but he received plenty of support from Law and Cook.

Scorers: Brothers 30 (F.Melit 3, N.Garvey 2, Lyons, J.Gallagher, B.O’Connor tries; Scott 2, Thomson 1 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 14 (Barnfield, Balderson, Cook, Brown tries; Phillips 1 goal)


Knockout Semi Final – 7/9/58

Brothers 33 d W/Manly 20 (Lang Park)

Barry Boyd watches carefully as Keith Brown looks for an opening

Brothers proved against Wynnum-Manly that they were no match for the other semi-final sides, with a plucky 33-20 win in the knockout semi-final at Lang Park. Before over 15 thousand patrons, the Brethren weathered an early sustained attacking raid from the baysiders, holding them scoreless, before launching a counter-punch of their own which realised three tries in the blink of an eye. 

Wynnum-Manly forwards Law, Lewis, Meurant and Long were more than holding their own with their bigger opposition, before an incredible turn of events blew the Baysiders off the park. Slicing through the defensive line deep inside his own half, Brethren centre Eric Petersen went on a long sojourn into Baysiders territory, before drawing the defence and sending Lyons over in the corner for the first try of the match. 

The Brothers classy forward pack of the O’Connor brothers, Peter Gallagher, and Vince Nicholas then began to control the heavy exchanges, their halves causing total havoc in attack for their outclassed Wynnum-Manly opponents. Second-rower Brian O’Connor showed great anticipation and backup play, crossing for two quick tries, and an incredible four tries overall during the match. These three tries in quick succession took much of the sting out of the Baysiders attack, and played a major part in Brothers leading 21-2 at the break. 

Although rattling up a comfortable 33-7 lead by the 70th minute, Wynnum-Manly turned on a blistering finish to cross three times and score 13 points of their own in the last ten minutes. Bobby Cook’s try was again a major talking point, crossing after a superb 55-yard swerving run. 

Scorers: Brothers 33 (B.O’Connor 4, Lyons 3, Nicholas, Davies tries; Davies 3 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 20 (R.Fox, K.Brown, B.Cook, N.Johnson tries; Phillips 4 goals)

1958 Wynnum Manly First Grade Rugby League Team – Finalists
Back Row: Noel Meurant, Alf Birks, John Geraghty, Les Greenhill, Bob Greenhill, Billy Slater, Harry Law, Marshall Barnfield, Vince Long.
Front Row: Noel Johnson, Brian Phillips, Bobby Cook, Keith Brown, Keith Lewis.



Match Report Photos: Wynnum Manly Rugby League Football Club

Team Photo: Compliments of Marshall Barnfield