Round 1 – 2/4/67

Wests 17 d Wynnum Manly 13 (Lang Park)

In one of the toughest openings to a season seen in years, Wests had to withstand a withering barrage of sustained attack for the last 15 minutes to hold out 17-13 against an unlucky Wynnum-Manly at Lang Park. 

Desperately unlucky, Wynnum-Manly actually crossed Wests line three times during this time, but were unable to ground the ball cleanly for the match-winner.  Lively young winger Bruce Phillips also got to within a yard of the score line on two occasions, but lost the ball in tackles. Rugged forward Bob Stone was also denied an apparently fair try, when the referee adjudged him to be offside, much to the surprise of players from both sides. 

It was a thrilling contest for the big crowd, with a most dramatic finish, with a wild skirmish erupting on Wests try line as the final siren sounded, with Wynnum hoisting a last desperate bomb.  Wests lock Terry Haggett then received a long lecture after time was called. Although unlucky not to score the last-second winner, it was Wests who would have been unluckier to lose, after scoring five tries to one. Additionally, Wests were caned 26-8 in the penalties, many against mercurial half Barry Muir.  However, hooker Arty Connell won more than his fair share of scrums during the match. 

Second-rower Alan Monaghan’s brilliant goalkicking kept the baysiders in the match, landing four angled shots in the blustery first half to lock the scores 8-all at the break.  One to star for the baysiders was their new find, pivot Ray Moore.

Scorers: Wests 17 (Morgan 2, L.Connell, K.Lingard, Crosby tries; McDonald goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 13 (D.Bitossi try; A.Monaghan 5 goals).


Round 2 – 9/4/67

W/Manly 17 d Souths 11 (Davies Park)

Wynnum-Manly emerged from the Davies Park battle field bloodied and bruised, but comprehensive 17-11 victors over a game Souths. The huge crowd was kept in constant uproar during the match, with both sides crossing for three tries each. However, Magpies fullback left his kicking boots at home, only landing one goal from his seven attempts. 

Star of the match was Wynnum’s giant forward Bob “Boats” Stone, whose elusive pace and swerve caused havoc for the Souths defence, and was rewarded with a great try. His rugged-style tackling also broke the Magpies attacking moves on numerous occasions. Speedy winger Bill Knobel also stood out for the baysiders, with two classy tries in the first 16 minutes to set the tone of the match. 

Although beaten, Souths discovered two quality footballers in second-rower Bill Loof and five-eighth Darryl Smith, who were both promoted this season from the under-20’s. The big and fast Loof broke Wynnum’s line continually during the match. 

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 17 (B.Knobel 2, B.Stone tries; A.Monaghan 4 goals) defeated Souths 11 (Cranston 2, Ross Chapman tries; McDonald goal)


Round 3 – 16/4/67

Easts 18 d Wynnum Manly 3 (Langlands Park)

Easts produced too much attacking class and speed for Wynnum-Manly at Langlands Park, eventually running out comfortable 18-3 winners. However, the Seagulls fought well during the first half, holding Easts to a slender 5-3 lead, after winger Keith Smith crossed for a superb try. 

It was a different story after the resumption, with the Tigers dominating possession and pinning the baysiders deep inside their own territory for long periods. The other big blow to the Seagulls chances of winning, came when captain-coach Lionel Morgan was replaced early in the match with an apparently serious knee injury. One of Easts second half tries will certainly be remembered as one of the best of the season, when no less than nine players handled the ball in a brilliant sweeping movement which was finished off perfectly by winger Bob Schofield. 

Billy McDermott, Ray Moore and Bob Stone played faultlessly and put up plenty of staunch defence, while half Glen Strathern was classy in attack. For Easts, Geoff Connell, Syd Clarke, Merv Verrenkamp and Schofield all stood out with good showings.

Scorers: Easts 18 (G.Connell, B.Schofield, Kellett, Harris tries; Henderson 3 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 3 (K.Smith try).


Round 4 – 23/4/67

Redcliffe 18 d Wynnum Manly 13 (Redcliffe Showgrounds)

Redcliffe pulled off the most unlikely win of the season at the Redcliffe Showgrounds, when they played the last 12 minutes with only 11 players, yet still held out Wynnum-Manly 18-13. 

It was a credit to the team, who overcame a scrum deficit of 7-19 to record the win. It was a disappointing result for the Seagulls, who dominated possession and territory for the majority of the match, and should have put the two competition points away safely much earlier. Overall, the match was a rip-roaring affair for most of the 80 minutes, with both sides holding no quarter as they threw everything into the match. But a few missed scoring opportunities for Wynnum-Manly will be rued. 

Star of the match was no doubt Redcliffe backrower Angie Day, who figured prominently in both attack and defence. With injuries mounting after half time, Redcliffe even reverted to playing a four-man scrum – incredibly breaking near even for the first time in the match during this period. It was a missed opportunity on another front for the Seagulls as well, as both lower grades had already won their matches.

Scorers: Redcliffe 18 (Johnson 2, Cavanagh, Roberts tries; A.Day 3 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 13 (B.McDermott, J.Smith, B.Knobel tries; Knobel goal; B.Coutts field goal).


Round 5 – 1/5/67

Valleys 16 d Wynnum Manly 9 (Neumann Oval)

In a tough and vigorous match at Neumann Oval, Valleys showed too much class across the park for Wynnum-Manly, running out clear 16-9 winners. Adding credibility to the win, Valleys centre Mick Retchless had also been sent off midway through the first half for throwing a punch after a tackle. Then rugged forward Jeff Callaghan was forced from the field with a cut eye after half time. 

Diehards lock Ron Gurnett became the instant go-to man for the remainder of the match, having played in four different positions during the afternoon. Gurnett led by example and was a tower of strength for Valleys, with long driving runs and rock-solid tackling. 

Although losing far too many opportunities through loose handling, shining for Wynnum-Manly was their young star winger Bill Knobel. He managed to score the Seagulls only try, and also booted two important goals. However, the Wynnum-Manly defence stood up well during the full 80 minutes, and only weight of possession resulted in their line being breached. 

Scorers: Valleys 16 (A.Scanlan, Hoyle tries; C.Mannion 5 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 9 (B.Knobel try; Knobel 2 goals; B.Stone field goal).


Round 6 – 10/5/67

Brothers 15 d Wynnum Manly 9 (Corbett Park) *night game

Brothers won a hollow, and at times, heated encounter 15-9 against a determined Wynnum-Manly at Corbett Park. Although facing only 12 men, and at times 11, during the second half, the competition leaders were disappointing, and only managed to scramble home with a try by centre Des Smith under the posts with only three minutes remaining. It was only accurate goal kicking by Noel Cavanagh which saved the Brethren, after Wynnum-Manly threw everything at the home side in the closing stages. 

The Seagulls were reduced to 12 players when referee Ron Mison sent off winger Keith Smith just before halftime, following a ferocious all-in brawl involving up to 20 players. It appeared strange that Smith was the player dismissed, when it was most certainly the two forward packs who were exchanging a wild myriad of punches. The first half was a tight 4-2 affair in favour of Brothers, with Brethren lock Wayne Abdy singularly the most slashing player on the field. It was a fine performance by Abdy, who had been ruled out of the side leading up to the match with injury. With Wynnum players continually in need of medical attention, it was expected Brothers would tear through the 11-man Seagulls defence – but it was not to be. The baysiders resolve was second to none, as they tackled themselves to a standstill. 

Ten minutes after the break, Wynnum winger Bruce Phillips swooped onto a lost Brothers pass, and set sail to score in the corner. Earl Seymore’s brilliant conversion from out wide brought the crowd to its feet, and gave Wynnum a 7-6 lead for the first time in the match. However, an exchange of penalties, followed by Smith’s opportunist try snuffed out the baysiders hopes. Stars for Wynnum-Manly included lock Brian Hatch, five-eighth Ray Moore and fullback Seymore. 

Scorers: Brothers 15 (D.Smith try; Noel Cavanagh 6 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 9 (B.Phillips try; E.Seymore 3 goals).


Round 7 – 14/5/67

Norths 17 d Wynnum Manly 9 (Lang Park)

Winger Howard Whitaker and lock Johnny Bates spearheaded Norths polished 17-9 victory over Wynnum-Manly at Lang Park. Whitaker in particular, was the standout player, scoring a perfect wing-man’s try, and setting up another for backrower Bob Duncan at a crucial moment in the second half. His try was easily the best of the match, going on a one-man swerving run over 50 yards, leaving the Wynnum defence in tatters. Both the attack and defence of both players was a feature of the match. 

For the majority of the match however, the Seagulls defence held firm, even after they had lost fullback Earl Seymore to injury, leaving them a man short. Until then, Seymore – married the day before – rivaled as the best player on the field until a rib injury ended his afternoon, and he scored a brilliant individual try. Wynnum-manly hooker Len Christersen took a clear 18-7 advantage in the scrums, but the baysiders were unable to convert this into attacking advantage, lacking the professional finish of the reigning premiers.

Scorers: Norths 17 (H.Whitaker, Bishop, B.Duncan tries; Hannam 3 goals; Brown field goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 9 (E.Seymore try; Seymore 2, B.Knobel goals).

A scrum packs down in at Langlands Park in a Wynnum Manly versus Easts game

Round 8 – 21/5/67

Wynnum Manly 19 d Souths 10 (Langlands Park)

Wynnum-Manly turned on a Jekyll-and-Hyde performance at Langlands Park, when they scrambled to an unconvincing 19-10 win over Souths. Former state centre Billy McDermott and skipper Bob Stone laid the foundations for the win, going to a comfortable 14-5 halftime lead, before lethargic attack and poor passing after the break turned the second half into a shambles. 

McDermott scored a classy try in the first half, and sent forward Alan Monaghan over in the second after a quick-thinking intercept. Stone barged and bulldozed his way through the full 80 minutes to be the best forward on the field, while fullback Earl Seymore capably landed five goals and made a number of long sojourns into Magpies territory. 

Souths nippy half Warren Kenward and backrower Bill Loof both tried hard all day in both attack and defence, but were unable to stem the Seagulls onslaught for any length of time. 

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 19 (B.McDermott, B.Knobel, A.Monaghan tries; E.Seymore 5 goals) defeated Souths 10 (McDonald, Mowen tries; Scott 2 goals).


Round 9 – 28/5/67

Wests 27 d Wynnum Manly 18 (Lang Park)

Former international halfback Barry Muir was back to his brilliant best, when he led Wests to a bright 27-18 victory over Wynnum-Manly at Lang Park. A big crowd was on hand to see Muir score one of the best tries seen at Lang Park for years, and be heavily involved in the lead-up to four others. 

Wests lock Terry Haggett also starred with three tries, and worked closely alongside Muir for the majority of the match. Haggett also threw the final pass to Nev McDonald who then dived over for a try. Muir’s combination with Haggett caused headaches all afternoon for the Seagulls, but especially his clever switches of play and short-kicking game. 

Wynnum-Manly were not disgraced though, matching Wests in most areas, except the clinical try-scoring of the red and blacks. Wynnum forwards Jud Baker and Bob Stone put in sometimes fiery forwards ruck-play, but as both sides were intent on moving the ball quickly, the game lacked that intense forwards volatility. Impressing the selectors at the game, was Wynnum-Manly’s two-try winger Bill Knobel, who showed plenty of speed and attacking ability. Keith Smith was another to play well for the baysiders, until injury prevented him from continuing after half time.

Scorers: Wests 27 (T.Haggett 3, B.Muir, N.McDonald tries; McDonald 6 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly (B.Knobel 2, K.Smith, E.Seymore tries; A.Monaghan 2, K.Smith goals).


Round 10 – 4/6/67

Easts 24 d Wynnum Manly 11 (Lang Park)

A three-try effort from Easts centre Dale Firth was the only highlight from an otherwise scrappy 24-11 win over Wynnum-Manly at Lang Park. The Seagulls definitely did not have lady luck on their side either, losing centre Ray Moore, lock Brian Hatch, second-rower Jud Baker, and replacement forward John McFadyen all in the first half. 

The makeshift Wynnum side struggled to match the ever-attacking Tigers, but Bob Stone played himself to a standstill in a lone hand effort to keep the baysiders in the game, and again was rewarded with a crashing try. Penetrating the Easts line on numerous occasions, he often found himself lacking support, especially as both wingers Bill Knobel and Keith Smith focused on defence. 

Easts state forward Geoff Connell was assisted from the field on two occasions, once following a leg injury in the first half, then again in the second following an accidental head clash.

Scorers: Easts 24 (D.Firth 3, Wakerley, G.Connell, Duncan tries; M.Henderson 2 goals; Henderson field goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 11 (K.Smith, E.Seymore, B.Stone tries; K.Smith goal).


Round 11 – 18/6/67

Valleys 35 d Wynnum Manly 10 (Kougari Oval)

Heavyweight prop forward Des Mannion, rattled up 20 points as he kicked Valleys to a comprehensive 35-10 victory over Wynnum-Manly at Kougari Oval. Mannion’s line kicking also broke Wynnum’s defence up throughout the match. 

Star of the backs was easily Diehards centre Mick Retchless, who scored one try and set up two others. Giant Valleys prop Leon ‘Moose’ McGuire also crashed through for two fine forwards tries, and had the crowd chanting his ‘Moose’ nickname whenever he touched the ball. The Seagulls were hopelessly outclassed and out pointed by the Diehards, and were never really in the match from the moment McGuire scored his side’s first try. 

There were a number players that tried hard all day, the best of which was possibly prop Graham Curtis. 

Scorers: Valleys 35 (L.McGuire 2, P.Bliss, M.Retchless, A.Scanlan tries; D.Mannion 8 goals, Mannion 2 field goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 10 (B.Knobel, A.Monaghan tries; E.Seymore 2 goals).


Round 12 – 25/6/67

Wynnum Manly 6 d Brothers 5 (Kougari Oval)

Wynnum-Manly dug deep into the Kougari Oval slush, and edged out Brothers 6-5 in a tough and thrilling contest. Those that braved the elements were treated to an enthralling display of rugby league, the result not known until Wynnum fullback Earl Seymore landed the last of his three penalty goals with only moments remaining. 

All of Wynnum-Manly’s six points were scored in the second half, after the Brethren had scored the only try of the match – by hooker John Bourke – to lead 5-0 at half time. However, the match perhaps shouldn’t have been that close, with Brothers usually reliable Noel Cavanagh missing two goal attempts, and Barry Dowling only landing one of his three shots at goal. Brothers also had a few scoring opportunities during the match, but the staunch Seagulls defence jolted the ball loose on more than one occasion. 

Lock Reg Cannon and five-eighth Eric Gelling were the best for Brothers, while fullback Earl Seymore, centres Billy McDermott and Ray Moore, and prop Bob Stone were the best for Wynnum-Manly.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 6 (E.Seymore 3 goals) defeated Brothers 5 (J.Bourke try; B.Dowling goal).


Round 13 – 2/7/67

Norths 25 d Wynnum Manly 2 (Oxenham Park)

Reigning premiers Norths, took the lead in the first grade competition, following their comprehensive 25-2 demolition of Wynnum-Manly at a muddy Oxenham Park. In wet and slippery conditions, the home side played the better football in an otherwise patchy match. 

However the victory was set in the first ten minutes, when star winger Fonda Metassa scored twice to set the baysiders reeling. His first try was sensational, as he streaked away more than 65 yards after being sent into the clear by fullback Peter Lobegeiger. He beat three defenders with a terrific change of pace, then out-stripped the cover defence in a race for the line. Five minutes later, Metassa crossed again, this time after a bumping run and crashing through the last line of defence. From here, Norths never looked back.

Wynnum-Manly never troubled the premiers, and struggled to contain the likes of Johnny Bates, Bob Duncan and Alan McLean in Norths pack. The baysiders best worker was Earl Seymore, who shifted from fullback to centre during the match. Such was the depth of the Norths club that representative stars Peter Hall and Ian Massie actually turned out in reserve grade. 

Scorers: Norths 25 (F.Metassa 2, Mahoney 2, Hegarty tries; P.Lobegeiger 4 goals; Brown field goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 2 (Seymore goal).


Round 14 – 4/7/67

Wynnum Manly 12 drew Redcliffe 12 (Exhibition Grounds) *night game

In a scrappy night match at the Exhibition Grounds, Wynnum-Manly and Redcliffe battled out a tough 12-all draw. The result was fitting, as both sides struggled to control the ball. However, the big crowd on hand was kept enthralled as the tight match played out its course. 

Wynnum-Manly were the better side in the early stages, as they capitalised on Redcliffe mistakes. They came very close to scoring early, following a promising raid involving centre Billy McDermott, Brian Hatch and Bill Knobel. However it was Redcliffe who opened the scoring with a penalty goal from Angie Day. This lifted the tempo of Redcliffe, and they began to make some big gains into the Wynnum defence. 

Eventually, young centre Peter Leis scored a brilliant try for Redcliffe after 23 minutes, when he magnificently stepped around three Wynnum defenders within 15 yards of the line. The baysiders then hit back strongly, with hooker Bob Griffen and Ray Moore leading some strong forward charges. It was left to skipper Bob Stone to finally crack the defence, when he dived over from short range. Leading 7-5 at the break, Redcliffe moved further away when winger Norm Emery swooped on a dropped pass to send prop Brian Pheeney on a dash to the line. 

But the best try of the match was left until last, when young centre Seymore flew onto a Moore pass, split the defence at full pace, and won a rip-roaring sprint to the corner. An exchange of penalty goals left Redcliffe ahead 12-10 with time running out. Seymore then had a late chance from wide out, and brought a huge roar from the crowd with a terrific kick to lock up the match.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 12 (B.Stone, E.Seymore tries; E.Seymore 3 goals) drew with Redcliffe 12 (P.Leis, B.Pheeney tries; A.Day 3 goals)

Wynnum Manly five eighth Ivan Udowika moves up in defence in preparation for an Easts attacking raid at Langlands Park

Round 15 – 9/7/67

Wests 17 d Wynnum Manly 10 (Kougari Oval)

A big Kougari Oval crowd was kept at fever-pitch throughout a torrid match, as Wests called on everything they had to hold out a fast-finishing Wynnum-Manly 17-10. The match was a classic in every aspect, but it was the strong finish by the eventual losers that brought a standing ovation from a thrilled crowd. 

Although dominating the first half territorially, Wests could only muster one try. However, silly indiscretions and ill-discipline by the baysiders had them on the back foot as Wests’ prop John McDonald landed three penalty goals. The 9-0 scoreline at the break looked as though it could blow out into an embarrassing one, except for the resolve of the Wynnum side. Prop and skipper Bob Stone, hooker Bob Griffin, five-eighth Billy McDermott and centre Ray Moore, led a dazzling fightback by the baysiders, never letting up on their opponents. 

The match was as physical as had been seen on the bayside, but was free from foul play. Players on both sides suffered from the effects of ferocious defence, often gang-tackles. With spurts of brilliance in the slippery conditions, the crowd erupted when baysiders forward Ray Moore crashed his way through to score after a sustained attacking raid. And when Bob Stone dived over, the crowd hit near delirium as Seymore’s conversion put the home side in front. 

However, the class of Wests centre John Rhodes, and the relentless tackling of Paul Morgan, George Diggles and McDonald, began to show through. The red and blacks had marginally better control in the conditions, and late field position saw pivot Gary Manson spear through under the posts for a good try. Late in the match, winger Bill Holden took full advantage of slow defence to crash over in the corner, thus sealing the match.

Scorers: Wests 17 (Combey, G.Manson, Holden tries; P.McDonald 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 10 (R.Moore, B.Stone tries; E.Seymore 2 goals).


Round 16 – 16/7/67

Souths 22 d Wynnum Manly 12 (Kougari Oval)

Souths outplayed their opponents Wynnum-Manly in most departments, with a classy 22-12 win at Kougari Oval. Star of the match was the Magpies’ hard-running second-rower Bill Loof, with long gains through the Wynnum-Manly defence. Often he would disappointingly have to take the tackle, as he found no support up the middle of the field. 

Another to star for the victors was brilliant fullback Tony Scott. Scott had a terrific match in both attack and defence, his try-saving tackle on Wynnum-Manly winger Keith Smith being one that many will talk about when season highlights are recalled. It also happened at a time when Wynnum were surging back into the match, and could almost be the turning point of the match. 

Outstanding for the baysiders was centre Billy McDermott, whose defence continually broke up the at times, overwhelming Souths attack. Lock Alan Monaghan also had a good match for Wynnum-Manly, and was surely the star forward in defence. Ross and Ron Chapman both had solid games for the Magpies in the outside backs, and were rewarded for their efforts with good tries.

Scorers: Souths 22 (Ross Chapman, Ron Chapman, Watt, ##### tries; McDonald 4 goals; Scott field goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 12 (K.Smith, K.Beneditti tries; A.Monaghan 3 goals).


Round 17 – 23/7/67

Wynnum Manly 16 d Easts 13 (Langlands Park) 

Wynnum-Manly pulled off the shock upset of the season, when they surprised third-placed Easts 16-13 at Langlands Park. With the baysiders propping up the entire table, the Tigers were expected to rack up a fair score with their usually brilliant attack and abundance of pace. 

However, Wynnum-Manly turned up to play, and threw in their own fire and brimstone to rattle Easts early. Although thrilling the big crowd on hand, it was a rough match, with vigorous defence often flaunting the rules. Both sides were guilty of dangerous and unsporting play, and it wasn’t surprising that penalties peppered the match. All this said, the baysiders took full advantage of an Easts side not being able to move into top gear. At times the Easts defence was sluggish at best. 

Laurie Gardiner scored Easts only try, following some bright work by star forward Geoff Connell. Connell and halfback Ken Haimes were easily the pick of the Tigers, not to mention fullback Max Henderson keeping the Tigers in the match with some quality goalkicking. 

Keith Smith’s try after the break then gave the Seagulls the impetus to take control of the match, and it was left to John Smith to score the try of the match to seal the win. Both Wynnum tries came about after flawless backline attacking moves found Easts short on defensive numbers. Along with the two tryscorers, half Glen Strathern, Ray Moore, Alan Monaghan, and Bob Stone were outstanding for the victors. But it was centre Earl Seymore who was the best player on the field. His four goals, combined with slicing backline moves had the crowd on their toes whenever he touched the ball. 

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 16 (K.Smith, J.Smith tries; E.Seymore 4 goals; Strathern field goal) defeated Easts 13 (L.Gardiner try; M.Henderson 4 goals; Henderson field goal).


Round 18 – 30/7/67

Redcliffe 26 d Wynnum Manly 11 (Kougari Oval)

Wynnum-Manly served up perhaps their worst performance of the season, when they were methodically bulldozed 26-11 by Redcliffe at Kougari Oval. Never being challenged in the match, the Redcliffe side powered their way to a seemingly inevitable victory in the battle to avoid the wooden spoon. 

Lapses in defence and poor handling by the baysiders prevented any real pressure ever being mounted on the Redcliffe defence. If not for Earl Seymore’s personal tally of a try and four goals, the scoreline could have become quite embarrassing. Interestingly though, three-quarters Keith Smith, Seymore, Ray Moore, and John Smith clearly out pointed their Redcliffe opposites as individuals, but could not hold the ball. 

Redcliffe’s forwards however, were in fine form, with John Treeby, Jeff McKenzie, Bevan Bleakley and Col Raaen simply steamrolling all before them. McKenzie in particular stood out, barging his way over for two tries and tackling like a machine. Winger Jim Cherry’s radar-like boot was on target as well, with his seven goals from eight attempts icing a good win. Leading 14-7 at half time, Redcliffe never gave the baysiders a look-in, scoring a try within five minutes of the resumption. 

Of concern to Wynnum officials, was the high injury toll from the match, with a number of players forced to play on after ambulance treatment, and Glen Strathearn taken to hospital following a head knock. 

Scorers: Redcliffe 26 (J.McKenzie 2, Watkins, Curtin tries; J.Cherry 7 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 11 (E.Seymore try; E.Seymore 4 goals).


Round 19 – 6/8/67

Valleys 27 d Wynnum Manly 12 (Neumann Oval)

Valleys five-eighth Marty Scanlan was the standout performer in the Diehards solid 27-12 defeat of Wynnum-Manly at Neumann Oval.

Scanlan scored one terrific try, and set up another for winger Doug Kelly from a perfectly weighted short kick. He also made a number of good breaks through the baysiders defence, and was strong in defence. The first half finished a close 10-7 to Valleys, with Wynnum-Manly threatening to finish the stronger after the break – but it wasn’t to be.

However, any chance Valleys were complacent, were put to rest with two snap tries from scrums by ace half Ross Threlfo. When hooker Brian Austin then outpaced the Wynnum cover defence to score in the corner, the match was never in doubt. Diehards skipper Des Mannion also added four goals to swell the score.

Wynnum-Manly were far from disgraced, with skipper Bob Stone one of the outstanding forwards on the field, and scoring a strong try. Winger Keith Smith also put in a dazzling display, and was rewarded with a superb winger’s try.

Scorers: Valleys 27 (R.Threlfo 2, D.Kelly, Martin, B.Austin tries; D.Mannion 6 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 12 (K.Smith, B.Stone tries; E.Seymore 2, A.Monaghan goals).


Round 20 – 13/8/67

Brothers 34 d Wynnum Manly 13 (Corbett Park)

In an at times fiery encounter at Corbett Park, Brothers showed why they are the competition front runners with a devastating 34-13 hammering of Wynnum-Manly. Led brilliantly – and aggressively – by skipper Peter Gallagher, the brethren piled up six tries, while bombing several others. 

Stars for the victors included centre Barry Dowling, pivot Johnny Gleeson, and forwards Gallagher and Dennis Manteit, who crashed over for two tries. Never looking in doubt throughout the match, they always managed to hold the baysiders attack at bay. 

However, they did not have it all their own way, with plenty of rugged treatment and attacking following thrown at them by the youthful and willing Wynnum side. Best player for the baysiders was Billy McDermott, who possibly won a points decision over Gleeson until injured early in the second half. 

McDermott is in the best form he has been in for years, and his loss was massive. While he controlled Gleeson, Wynnum were unable to cover the brilliance of Dowling and Eric Gelling. Noel Cavanagh also landed eight goals from ten attempts, and kept the scoreboard attendant quite busy. Brian Hatch, Alan Monaghan and Bob Green were also good performers for the baysiders. 

Scorers: Brothers 34 (D.Manteit 2, Milburn, G.Dowling, Roggenkamp, P.Gallagher tries; N.Cavanagh 8 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 13 (A.Thurlow, A.Monaghan, K.Beneditti tries; Monaghan 2 goals)


Round 21 – 20/8/67

Norths 20 d Wynnum Manly 8 (Kougari Oval)

Although Norths took the match honours 20-8 at Kougari Oval, it was an unlucky Wynnum side that had tongues wagging after full time. Taking 50 minutes to get on top of the baysiders, the plucky Norths side should be grateful they have the quality Peter Lobegeiger in their side who kicked seven goals – most difficult angled attempts. 

Twice the baysiders were denied tries by the referee however, much to the vocal dissatisfaction of the crowd. Norths half Johnny Brown was in brilliant form during the match, and his battle with Wynnum newcomer Ray Evans was undoubtedly the match highlight. Brown’s clever switches of play, kicking both long and short, and defence were all first-class. 

Norths backrowers Glen Harrison (who scored a try) and Alan McLean led the forwards march well, while Keith Beneditti stood out for Wynnum-Manly.

Scorers: Norths 20 (Gills, G.Harrison tries; P.Lobegeiger 7 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 8 (A.Monaghan 2 goals; R.Evans 2 field goals)


Match Report Sources: Mike Higgison

Photo Sources: Curtis Family Collection