Round 1 – 1/4/73

Redcliffe 27 d Wynnum Manly 3 (Redcliffe Showgrounds)

In a sloppy match at the Redcliffe Showgrounds that failed to reach any great heights, Redcliffe had far too many guns for the unsuspecting Seagulls, and handed them a 24-3 thrashing.  Out muscled and out-weighed in the forwards, Wynnum-Manly failed to get any drive for position.

Dolphins 17-stone heavyweight prop Rob Orchard was the pick of the forwards, and it was on the back of his driving runs that half Brian Winney was able to control play.  Orchard also set up three Redcliffe tries, one a spectacular break to put centre Peter Leis away under the posts.

The baysiders defence did stand up well for the majority of the match, but far too much wild passing and poor ball control undid much of the good work.  Winger Doug Kelly perfectly finished off one of the few good attacking moves that Wynnum-Manly could muster. Halfback Des Lee was one player to shine for the Seagulls with clever attack and solid defence, and new ‘find’ Neil Crausaz put in a promising performance in the forwards.

Scorers: Redcliffe 27 (Cook 2, P.Leis 2, B.Bleakley, T.Obst, B.Winney tries; Cook 3 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 3 (D.Kelly try).


Round 2 – 8/4/73

Wynnum Manly 27 d Norths 21 (Kougari Oval)

Peter Inskip boot proved the difference, kicking one of his six goals against the Norths Devils at Kougari Oval

Wynnum-Manly had to overcome an early deficit to pull off the first upset of the 1973 season, when they downed Norths 27-21 in a bright match at Kougari Oval. The baysiders home ground was overflowing with spectators, and they didn’t leave disappointed, as the game’s fortunes fluctuated in a rip-roaring encounter.

An early Seagulls penalty goal by Peter Inskip was quickly met by two Devils tries to Ken Berrigan and skipper Eric Lilley. Lilley’s try nearly brought the house down as he weaved his way through no less than five defenders to score next to the posts.

However the injection of Wynnum’s hard-nosed forward import Nev Hornery gave them the impetus to take control of the match. Hornery rattled the Norths forwards with hard-running and bone-crunching tackles, and eventually provided space for Ken Rafferty and Des Lee to launch attacking raids. Hornery then made a good break and before firing out a long pass to winger Doug Kelly to score.

Soon after, Lee worked a slick move with Gary Laskus, before regaining possession and scoring the first of his three tries. Another try to Warren Hodges and a sixth goal to Inskip had the Seagulls comfortably in front, before a serious lapse in concentration and intensity in the last ten minutes allowed Norths’ trio Ken Berrigan, Athol Gear and Peter Klienhans to score tries and set up a grandstand finish. However, the deficit was too much for the Devils to bridge and Wynnum-Manly held on for a memorable victory.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 27 (D.Lee 3, D.Kelly, W.Hodges tries; P.Inskip 6 goals) defeated Norths 21 (K.Berrigan 2, E.Lilley, A.Gear, P.Kleinhans tries; Berrigan 3 goals).


Round 3 – 14/4/73

Souths 20 d Wynnum Manly 10 (Lang Park)

Souths halfback Gary Dobrich has Wynnum Manly five-eighth Kevin Rafferty in his sight as Des Lee watches on

A rough and tumble Saturday match at Lang Park, eventually finished 20-10 in favour of Souths, and with both sets of supporters leaving the game’s headquarters pleased they had seen a terrific game of rugby league. The overall class of the Magpies kept them in front for the majority of the match, but the Seagulls stuck to their guns to provide a thrilling contest.

Like heavyweight prize-fighters, both sets of forwards went hell-for-leather from the outset, and it was no place for the feint-hearted, with two major brawls erupted during the match. Referee Dale Coogan handled the fracas well, and on both occasions was able to get the players minds back onto playing bright football. Souths international centre John Grant was in scintillating form, and broke the match apart in the second half with searing bursts.

His break which drew three defenders and set winger Peter Moore on an electric 70 yard sprint to score was the match sealer, but only came in the later stages of the match. He also put Moore into another break, but the final pass in the movement from Amen Gutugutuwai to Tony Scott was ruled forward.

In fact, Wynnum-Manly led 10-7 midway through the second half, before winger Doug Kelly succumbed to injury, with the Magpies only assured of the win in the last 7 minutes. The staunch defence of forwards Nev Hornery, Bob Hardie and Kelly was a highlight of the Seagulls play. Brilliant goal kicking by Scott and rock-like defence from Gary Dobrich also laid the foundations for Souths hard-fought win.

Scorers: Souths 20 (G.Dobrich, McCasker, P.Moore tries; T.Scott 5 goals; Stapleton field goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 10 (D.Kelly, N.Hornery tries; P.Inskip 2 goals)


Round 4 – 22/4/73

Brothers 44 d Wynnum Manly 14 (Corbett Park)

In a disastrous weekend for the Wynnum-Manly club, Brothers showed too much pace in winning 44-14 at Corbett Park. Although a spirited effort by the Seagulls for the full 80 minutes, they dropped far too much possession and had no answer for the strong-running Brethren pack of David Wright (one try), Col Weiss (two tries) and Max Anderson (two tries).  The match capped a terrible weekend of results for the bayside club, receiving comprehensive beatings in all five grades.

With scrums favouring Brothers’ hooker Brian Fitzsimmons 11-8 over Seagulls try-scorer Peter Theofanes, the home side was made to work hard, eventually rattling up nine tries to two – most of which came in the later stages in the match.  Seagulls fullback Peter Inskip was one of Wynnum-Manly’s hardest workers, but was often faced with three attackers as a last line of defence. His goal kicking was again top class. Seagulls five-eighth Kev Rafferty was another Seagulls player to star, and scored a great try in the first half which thrilled the crowd.

Scorers: Brothers 44 (C.Weiss 2, M.Anderson 2, I.Dauth, P.Bennett, D.Wright, Dowling, P.Beauchamp tries; Dauth 8 goals; P.Bennett field goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 14 (K.Rafferty, P.Theofanes tries; P.Inskip 4 goals)


Round 5 – 25/4/73

Wests 27 d Wynnum Manly 7 (Kougari Oval)

In a rugged and often fiery match at Kougari Oval, Wests piled on twenty unanswered second half points to eventually trounce Wynnum-Manly 27-7.  The match opened in sensational fashion with both sides gang-tackling opposition forwards, resulting in numerous brawls and a number of cautions issued by the referee. Wests star signing John Sattler appeared to be the main target from the Seagulls forwards, but he equally handed out as much as he copped.  However, it was Sattler’s inspirational leadership that turned a 7-all halftime scoreline into a comprehensive 20-point victory. Panthers centre Rob ‘Yogi’ Thompson was the outstanding player of the match, and deservedly crossed for two classy tries.

The first half was incredibly tight, with Wynnum-Manly trio Len Brunner, Bob McMullen and Les Salter marginally out-pointing their opponents in a bustling opening stanza.  After Thompson opened the scoring for Wests, the Seagulls hit back with a clever try to Mick Power following superb lead-up work by Brunner, Salter and pivot Kev Rafferty.  The Panthers then bombed two clear tries late in the first half to leave the scores level.

The second half was a vastly different story however, with Wests forwards playing clever football and chiming in well with their backs. Fullback Errol Stock had a terrific game for Wests, and his six goals from seven attempts proved devastating to the Seagulls in the final scoreline.

Scorers: Wests 27 (R.Thompson 2, Croft 2, Williams tries; E.Stock 6 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 7 (M.Power try; P.Inskip 2 goals).


Round 6 – 29/4/73

Valleys 34 d Wynnum Manly 3 (Neumann Oval)

Wynnum Manly winger Warren Hodges takes his Valleys opposite in a ball and all tackle

A disappointing Wynnum-Manly side was completely overrun by Valleys at Neumann Oval, the 34-3 scoreline luckily not worse for the Seagulls. Even without halfback Ross Strudwick who was out injured, the Diehards had too many guns for a Wynnum side that suffered poor handling and a complete lack of teamwork throughout the match.

Without representative players fullback Peter Inskip, five-eighth Kev Rafferty, centres Doug Kelly and Bob Hardie, and forward leader Nev Hornery, the Seagulls were never in the hunt with a makeshift side, with only try-scorer Les Salter making any impact on the Valleys defence. They did however tried free-flowing attack when in possession, but often the ball was spilled when an opportunity may have loomed.

The Diehards backs had a field day, running in six of their eight tries, after the forwards continually burst through some weak defence. Winger Paul Gayler, fullback Alan Mills, hooker Hugh O’Doherty and prop John Crilly were the pick of the Diehards best, but it was difficult to single out any Valleys individual in particular, with every player going well.

Scorers: Valleys 34 (P.Gayler 2, Beatson, A.Mills, G.Fitzpatrick, Canavan, McLeod, H.O’Doherty tries; J.Crilly 4, A.Mills goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 3 (L.Salter try).


Round 7 – 6/5/73

Easts 41 d Wynnum Manly 12 (Langlands Park)

Ken Churchill was awarded with a try after a strong game in a losing side

The Wynnum-Manly slump continued at Langlands Park, when Easts hammered the hapless Seagulls by scoring nine tries to two in a 41-12 thrashing.  Although the Wynnum-Manly defence held strong during the first half, the Tigers clicked into top gear after the break and tore into the tiring Seagulls defenders, running in seven more tries in a canter.

Undoubtedly the best players on the field were Easts hooker John Lang, who won the scrums 16-2, and centre John Eales. With continual scrum wins, halfback Lee Hutchinson therefore had a field day sending teammates ‘Butch’ Pearse, John Atkin and Eales on charges towards the tryline. although not scoring a try himself, Eales instigated those for John Atkin, Lang and Rod Morris after making line breaks.  Tigers wingers Jim Ward and Alan Currie also showed too much pace and strength for their Wynnum-Manly opponents.  Hutchinson also scored the try of the match, when he chip-kicked ahead inside the Wynnum quarter line, then leapt Australian Rules style to grab the ball and ground it spectacularly. Paul Khan and Alan Shephard scored their tries from strong ruck play.

Seagulls centre Doug Kelly, returning from injury, played strongly for Wynnum-Manly, and scored a smart try after confusing the cover defence and short-kicking behind the defence.

Scorers: Easts 41 (J.Atkin, A.Shepherd, L.Hutchinson, J.Lang, R.Morris, P.Khan, Currie, Ward, Cordwell tries; Fullarton 7 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 12 (D.Kelly, K.Churchill tries; P.Inskip 3 goals)


Round 8 – 13/5/73

Norths 28 d Wynnum Manly 14 (Bishop Park)

Wynnum Manly captain Nev Hornery was in the thick of things against the Devils

Two referees, a penalty try, and an early all-in donnybrook thrilled a big crowd on hand at Bishop Park, when a tiring Norths held out a determined Wynnum-Manly 28-14. Plenty of criticism was angled towards referee George Gibbs by the spectators, who allowed far too much player leniency in the first half, when the first half of the match turned into a debacle. Illegal play, abusive language, and a massive brawl all appeared to go unchecked in the stop-start first 40 minutes, the match degenerating until half time with Norths leading 18-7.

However, referee Gibbs succumbed to a leg injury, and touch judge Ron Daley touch the whistle after the break. Daley then called both captains – Nev Hornery (W/Manly) and Eric Lilley (Norths) – to the centre of the field before the second half kick-off for cautions. The match became more entertaining, but both sides still appeared intent on evening scores. Hornery was sensationally (and correctly) awarded a penalty when he was held back by the devils defence after kicking ahead into the in-goal area. Fullback Peter Inskip converted for the Seagulls, and at the time they trailed 20-14. Inskip’s kicking was superb, as he landed three angled shots, keeping the Seagulls in the match.

Doug Kelly scored Wynnum-Manly’s only first half try. Some of Norths best included fullback Dale Graham and half Hassel Rolph, who both got through a tower of tackling. former Norths star Peter Hall also went well in his first appearance for the season. Len Brunner was again one of Wynnum-Manly’s best, while back row partner Les Salter gave good service in attack and defence.

Scorers: Norths 28 (Harrison 2, K.Berrigan, A.Gear, T.Trent, N.Geiger tries; Berrigan 5 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 14 (D.Kelly try; Penalty try; P.Inskip 4 goals)


Round 9 – 20/5/73

Redcliffe 23 d Wynnum Manly 12 (Kougari Oval)

Redcliffe had to weather a strong Wynnum-Manly storm in the first half, to eventually take a tough match 23-12 at Kougari Oval. Dolphins centre Peter Leis played an outstanding game in both attack and defence, scoring two strong first-half tries.

Seagulls centre and former world cup representative Johnny Rhodes, was another player to strike form, and caused the Redcliffe defence plenty of problems whenever he had the ball. Although matching Redcliffe with willing defence and some clever attack in the first half, the Seagulls fell away after the break and were kept scoreless. In an entertaining first stanza, Rhodes and fullback Peter Inskip both crossed for Wynnum-Manly, keeping them in touch at 15-12. However, the bone-rattling defence of the Seagulls could not be maintained after halftime, and the Dolphins took ascendancy.

Only Neil Crausaz and Phillip Stewart offered any real resistance to Redcliffe’s powerful pack. After wearing down the defence, the Dolphins big props Bevan Bleakley and Rob Orchard crashed over for further tries to seal a solid victory.

Scorers: Redcliffe 23 (P.Leis 2, R.Halley, R.Orchard, B.Bleakley tries; R.Raper 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 12 (J.Rhodes, P.Inskip tries; Inskip 3 goals)


Round 10 – 27/5/73

Wynnum Manly 19 d Souths 14 (Davies Park)

In a shock round 10 result, Wynnum-Manly surprised Souths with a rare 19-14 victory at Davies Park. Fullback Peter Inskip had a superb day for the Seagulls, capping a good all-round performance with a try and five goals. Inskip’s long kicks in general play were a highlight in a generally bright match.

However, the baysiders did not have it all their own way, actually trailing the Magpies for most of the match. With equal share of possession Souths showed slightly better attack, before their defence began to wilt after 60 minutes. With gaps appearing, the Wynnum-Manly backs started to run rough-shod over their opponents, the Magpies unable to stem the flow of Seagulls attack. Magpies five-eighth Graeme Atherton was in brilliant form, and only last-ditch diving tackles stopped him from scoring just metres from the line on two occasions. The Magpies scored the only try for the 7-2 first half scoreline, directly from a Wynnum mistake, when Gary Dobrich kicked ahead. Inskip took the ball, but in passing wide possession was lost and a hard chasing Dobrich swooped on the loose ball and scooted over for the try.

Replacement hooker Peter Theofanes went well for the Seagulls, and soon after his injection Bob Hardie and Warren Hodges put on good lead-up work for Inskip to score. Soon after, Theofanes capped a nice move to score, followed by a rampaging Les Salter effort which delighted the big crowd. Inskip’s conversions placed the Seagulls comfortably in front 19-11, before a late Magpies raid saw Tony Scott dive over for a classy try.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 19 (P.Inskip, L.Salter, P.Theofanes tries; Inskip 5 goals) defeated Souths 14 (G.Dobrich, Nayler tries; Scott 4 goals)


Round 11 – 9/6/73

Wests 42 d Wynnum Manly 10 (Lang Park)

West Ray McCarron is surrounded as he looks to slip a pass away to supports

Wests took full advantage of an ill-disciplined Wynnum-Manly side, when they walloped the Seagulls 42-10 in a wild match at Lang Park. Referee Ian Smith was forced to work hard throughout the afternoon, dousing a number of vicious brawls, sending off Seagulls winger Warren Hodges for kneeing, and constantly awarding penalties and giving cautions for foul play.

The match opened in sensational fashion when a massive all-in brawl following a scrum shook headquarters to its foundations, the aftermath leaving plenty of flowing claret and an unconscious Wests second-rower Peter Luppi lying on the ground. with both sides too intent on evening scores for the remainder of the match, penalties peppered the game and prevented it from reaching any heights as a spectacle. Hodges’ send-off after 15 minutes, followed a 75-metre try by Panthers centre Rob Thompson, when after sliding in for the try, Hodges dived on top and was dismissed immediately, leaving Thompson laying on the ground.

Wests ran riot against a 12-man Seagulls outfit, half Greg Oliphant the engineer of most tries. John Kellett positioned himself well to score three tries, as did Thompson for two. Nev McDonald in his new role as Wests kicker, landed 9 goals from 12 attempts and scored a strong try to register 21 points. Wynnum-Manly’s first try by hooker Max Jensen (before he was injured and replaced), was a bumping burrowing effort after a sustained 10-minute attacking raid. The next came in the second half, when Hardie scooped up a dropped pass and ran untouched for 20 metres to score. Gary Seaton and Les Salter were the best for the Seagulls, while Oliphant, fullback Kev Denman and Kellett stood out for Wests.

Scorers: Wests 42 (J.Kellett 3, R.Thompson 2, N.McDonald, Croft, W.Orr tries; McDonald 9 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 10 (M.Jensen, B.Hardie tries; P.Inskip 2 goals).


Round 12 – 17/6/73

Valleys 18 d Wynnum Manly 17 (Kougari Oval)

Competition leaders Valleys used their get-out-of-jail-free card to the greatest effect, when they snatched a last gasp 18-17 victory over a resurgent Wynnum-Manly at Kougari Oval.  The huge vocal crowd was treated to a thrilling contest during the main attraction, highlighted by cellar-dwellers Wynnum-Manly storming back from a 13-2 halftime deficit, to take an unexpected 17-15 lead with minutes remaining.  However the boilover of the season was not to be, as Diehards winger capped off a sweeping backline movement to cross for the match winning try in the corner.

The Seagulls were their own worst enemy in the first half, with ineffectual tackling allowing Valleys to offload the ball for good field position. Diehards centre Bob Beatson set up the first try of the match, when he slipped through the defence for a 50-yard sojourn into Seagulls territory, before drawing the cover defence wide and offloading a neat pass inside to a flying Asaeli Batibasaga who scored untouched. Fullback Alan Mills was the next to score through individual brilliance, when he broke the defence inside his own 25-yard line, and outpaced three defenders to touch down.  Then just before halftime, hooker Hugh “ferret” O’Doherty burrowed his way over from close range to establish an apparently match-winning 13-2 lead. But it was a different Seagulls side that came out after the break, the forwards in particular playing well and ruggedly taking it up to the Diehards. In the 50th minute, it was Ken Churchill who charged into the Valleys forwards defence, before a bumping run by Gary Seaton saw him dive over.  Peter Inskip’s second goal reduced the deficit to 13-7. Then after some open attack by both sides, winger John Callus took play deep inside Valleys territory.

From a scrum, an attractive set play switched the point of attack for Callus to score in the corner after handling twice. Inskip’s terrific sideline conversion brought a huge roar of approval from the crowd, and a resurgent Wynnum-Manly to within a point.  Replacement forward George Holmes was the next to score, when he chimed into a backline move in which Bob Hardie and Inskip featured.  The conversion missed, and with a John Crilly penalty for the Diehards, the score was locked at 15-all.  A Neil Crausaz penalty goal again brought the crowd to its feet as the Seagulls regained the lead, but Gayler’s try put the seal on the result. Churchill, Seaton, Hardie and Les Salter were the picks for the baysiders, while Mills, Beatson, Gerry Fitzpatrick and Jeff Gill were Valleys best.

Scorers: Valleys 18 (A.Batibasaga, A.Mills, H.O’Doherty, Gayler tries; J.Crilly 3 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 17 (J.Callus, G.Seaton, G.Holmes tries; P.Inskip 3, N.Crausaz goals).


Round 13 – 24/6/73

Easts 14 d Wynnum Manly 8 (Kougari Oval)

In a dour game at Kougari Oval, the only try of the match and a Wayne Heydt field goal provided the difference in Easts 14-8 win against Wynnum-Manly. Easts were the better side for the vast majority of the match, and could have won more convincingly had the Seagulls last line of defence not been so resolute.  Credibility to the Wynnum effort, was they held Easts tryless until late in the match, after Aaron Simmers had been sent off by referee Dale Coogan for an apparent spear tackle on Tigers stand-in skipper “Butch” Pearse.

In the 73rd minute, the scores were locked at 8-all, following four penalty goals to both fullbacks – Peter Inskip (W/Manly) and Howard Fullarton (Easts).   However, Tigers winger Graham Lawson set the Kougari Oval crowd alight, with his second 60-yard run down the sideline, on this occasion shrugging off three defenders to score the game’s only try.  Fullarton’s brilliant conversion saw Easts lead move to five, until Wayne heist neatly snapped a field goal to put the result beyond doubt.

Under 18 Wynnum-Manly lock Gary Seaton had a grand game, along with Les Salter and Ken Churchill. whose rugged front-on tackling left its mark on Easts forwards, not to mention making the crowd wince and groan on numerous occasions.  Easts were without their regular skipper Des Morris, and it showed in their sometimes disorganised attack.

Scorers: Easts 14 (G.Lawson try; H.Fullarton 5 goals; Heydt field goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 8 (P.Inskip 4 goals)


Round 14 – 1/7/73

Norths 34 d Wynnum Manly 10 (Bishop Park)

Winger John Callus is becoming a shining light for the Seagulls

Norths played better in the forwards and showed slick teamwork to comprehensively down Wynnum-Manly 34-10 at Bishop Park. Too much high tackling and loose passing from the Seagulls prevented them from mounting any real pressure on the Devils. The Devils on the other hand were clearly primed for a good match, and their quick passing in backline moves stood out. Norths took territorial advantage early in the match from some terrific gains by Tony Trent, Athol Gear, Alan Nunan, Graham Stafford and Steve Calder. The Devils defence was equally impressive, continually burying Wynnum-Manly attackers and ball in solid tackles. Ken Berrigan, Ralph Michaels, Calder and Lilley all scored classy tries in a dominant 18-7 first half showing.

Les Salter scored Wynnum’s only first half try, swooping on a loose rolling ball inside Norths 25-yard line, and scoring untouched. Although john Rhodes, Peter Inskip and Bob Hardie showed plenty of good combination for the Seagulls in the first half, Norths quickly doused any chances they had with swarming defence after the resumption of play. Nunan, Des Noble, Gear and Berrigan all crossed for the Devils in another classy half of football, while John Callus scored another good try for the Seagulls.

The most disappointing aspect of Wynnum-Manly’s play, was they dominated both penalties and scrums during the match, and failed to show the fire and spirit of recent weeks.

Scorers: Norths 34 (K.Berrigan 2, E.Lilley, R.Michaels, A.Gear, T.Trent, A.Nunan, D.Noble tries; Berrigan 5 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 10 (L.Salter, J.Callus tries; P.Inskip 2 goals)


Round 15 – 10/7/73 (split round)

Wynnum Manly 10 drew Brothers 10 (Lang Park)

In an exciting night match at Lang Park, Wynnum-Manly dominated for the majority and were unlucky to only come away with a 10-all draw against a complacent Brothers.

The first eleven minutes of the match however, looked far from impressive for the Seagulls, as Brothers ran rough-shod over the Wynnum defence to send both Col Weiss and Brian Shelvey over for tries, and a 10-0 lead.  But the Seagulls were not about to add to their recent run of outs, and their forwards in particular aimed up for what became a highly rugged contest between the two packs. A number of fiery clashes spiced up an exciting first half, until only three minutes from halftime, former

World Cup centre Johnny Rhodes scored for the 10-7 half time score.  Lock Gary Seaton had quickly grabbed a loose ball, and immediately sent a long pass out to the flying Rhodes who bumped off two defenders in a 40-yard charge to the line. Seaton, Ken Churchill, Lester Young and Phil Stewart all stood tall in the second half, quickly and ruggedly cutting down any Brothers attacker they spotted.

After a bruising 25 minutes of the second half, a swift backline passage eventually found Larry Home in the clear, and he touched down for the equaliser. Inskip’s conversion narrowly missed the posts, but the crowd sensed the Seagulls were still on top. Unfortunately, they were unable to score that winning try, but rued mostly, a relatively easy missed penalty goal that could have sealed an important two competition points. However, overall Inskip proved to be the Seagulls best on the night.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 10 (J.Rhodes, L.Home tries; P.Inskip 2 goals) drew with Brothers 10 (C.Weiss, B.Shelvey tries; Dauth 2 goals)


Round 16 – 15/7/73

Redcliffe 24 d Wynnum Manly 14 (Neumann Oval)

Redcliffe outplayed a competitive Wynnum-Manly at Neumann Oval, and after a dominant second half, ran out convincing 24-14 victors. However the Dolphins did not have it all their own way, with the Seagulls putting up a spirited display for half the match. However, the old problem of poor tackling technique let them down badly in the second half of play.

For Redcliffe, strong runners like centre Peter Leis, Ron Raper, Bevan Bleakley, Ian Thinee and Glen Chambers – brought in for Robin Orchard – had a field day, continually putting the Dolphins in good position. Leis was particularly dangerous, making many 20 and 30 yard bursts through the defence on his own. Ken Churchill was Wynnum’s best forward, while Doug Kelly was the best of the backs. Young Gary Seaton was also conspicuous in the rough and tumble forward stuff.

Wynnum-manly scored first, when winger John Callus flashed over in the fifth minute after catching Redcliffe’s Tony Obst on the wrong foot. Bleakley sped through for the Dolphins first try, while four goals by Raper left the score 11-7 at the break. However, Redcliffe moved into top gear in the second stanza, with Bleakley powering his way over the line for a second try, followed by a neat team try finished off by winger Ron Carige. Leis was rewarded with a fine try, when he methodically beat John Rhodes to score under the posts. It was only a consolation try under the shadows of full time by Peter Theofanes that prevented the score looking more embarrassing for the Seagulls.

Scorers: Redcliffe 24 (B.Bleakley 2, P.Leis, R.Carige tries; R.Raper 6 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 14 (J.Callus, P.Theofanes tries; P.Inskip 4 goals)


Round 17 – 22/7/73

Souths 26 d Wynnum Manly 15 (Kougari Oval)

Wynnum Manly second rower Les Salter was outstanding for the Seagulls

Two runaway tries by Souths in the minutes before halftime cost Wynnum-Manly dearly, as the Magpies ran out unconvincing 26-15 winners at Kougari Oval. Until that stage, the Seagulls had played the far better football, and thoroughly deserved their 8-3 lead.

However, this ended the Seagulls dominance, and the Magpies were able to defend their lead comfortably. The majority of the first half saw Wynnum-Manly camped in Souths territory, The second of the two runaway tries was simply brilliant football, and had the approval of fans from both sides. After winning a scrum on their own five-metre line, Magpies fullback bounced off his own goalpost to evade Seagulls tacklers. Running wide, he linked up perfectly with winger Peter Moore who flew down the sideline. Angling in, he then drew the cover defence wide, before lobbing a superbly-weighted pass inside to a flying Mick Otton who easily raced away to score. Otton played extremely well for Souths, initiating another try with a powerful 30-yard burst upfield, and he tackled soundly throughout the full 80 minutes.

Other Souths players to impress were Scott, Ike Glass and Moore. Wynnum-Manly’s backrowers – Les Salter, Lester Young, and the youthful Gary Seaton – were stars for the Seagulls. Salter iced his performance with two very classy tries, one in each half. His second effort was a brilliant combination of power and speed.

Scorers: Souths 26 (J.Grant, McCasker, Rissman, M.Otton, Glass, G.Dobrich tries; Scott 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly (L.Salter 2, B.Patterson tries; P.Inskip 3 goals)


Round 18 – 29/7/73

Brothers 33 d Wynnum Manly 2 (Kougari Oval)

In a scrappy match peppered with penalties and plenty of controversy, Brothers handed Wynnum-Manly a 33-2 lesson at a packed Kougari Oval. On only a few occasions did the Seagulls trouble the Brethren defence, and once reduced to 12 players following a send off, the baysiders were never in the hunt. Referee Dale Coogan’s dismissal of Seagulls backrower Les Salter just after halftime, sent plenty of boos and angry reception around Kougari Oval, and resulted in the police escorting him from the field at the end of the game.

Salter was sent following a minor scuffle on the ground. The match opened in sensational fashion, when lock Col Weiss dived on a loose ball to score a try in the first minute, after a bomb had failed to be taken by Seagulls defenders. Further tries by Rob Norris and Clem Hovi for Brothers, along with four goals by Ian Dauth, had the Brethren well in control at 17-2 by the break.

After the resumption, Wynnum-Manly showed some starch in their forwards, but the loss of Salter took away much of their sting, and the poor handling that dogged their first half began to re-emerge. Weiss and Norris also scored in the second half, along with Noel Cowell and Greg Thomas to complete the rout. It was not a good weekend for the Seagulls, who lost all five senior grades, three of which were substantial hammerings.

Scorers: Brothers 33 (R.Norris 2, C.Weiss 2, C.Hovi, N.Cowell, G.Thomas tries; I.Dauth 6 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 2 (P.Inskip goal)


Round 19 – 5/8/73

Wynnum Manly 28 d Wests 24 (Langlands Park)

Fullback Bob Patterson was a star throughout the match scoring two tries

Wooden-spooners Wynnum-Manly shocked finals hopefuls Wests, with a tight 28-24 victory in a spectacular match at Langlands Park.  The Seagulls entire forward was simply sensational, tearing fearlessly into their bigger opponents in both attack and defence.

Fullback Bob Patterson was the star of the match though, chiming into backline moves perfectly and scoring two rip-roaring tries. The Panthers opened the scoring with an early Nev McDonald penalty goal, but Wynnum-Manly stuck back with a strong-running try from lock Ian Ogbourne. Scoring again in quick succession, Seagulls pivot Bob Hardie picked up a dropped ball and dashed over for his side’s second try.  Further penalty goals to McDonald kept Wests in contention at 10-6, before a slick move started by Peter Inskip resulted in Patterson’s first try. Wests then struck back well with a controversial try in the corner, when half Greg Oliphant created space for Steve Williams, who eventually sent centre Eric Robinson on a long swerving run between four Seagulls defenders to score in the corner.  The referee overruled his linesman’s call to award the try, much to the dissatisfaction of the pro-Wynnum crowd.  

Trailing 13-11, Wests hit the front with a classy backline try finished off by Keith Dawes. But the Seagulls took it back again just before the break, when Lester Young and Patterson combined to send hooker Peter Theofanes over for an 18-14 lead.

After the resumption, the Seagulls effectively took the game away from Wests with two tries in five minutes to Patterson and Johnny Rhodes. The big Wests pack then began to power against Wynnum as the second half rolled on, with international John Sattler barging his way over the line to score a typical strong try.  Holding the Wynnum-Manly attack for a long stint inside their own half, the Wests backs combined well for Oliphant to again send Williams through the defence.  Williams stepped, swerved then dummied brilliantly to eventually send hooker John Kellett over for the last try of the match.  However, the baysiders aimed up well in the closing stages to take a well-earned victory, and rightfully applauded all the way from the field at full time. To cap off a terrific result for the otherwise struggling Seagulls, Peter Inskip was announced at fullback in the Brisbane side in its upcoming state championship match against Wide Bay, at Lang Park on Exhibition Wednesday. 

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 28 (B.Patterson 2, I.Ogbourne, B.Hardie, J.Rhodes, P.Theofanes tries; Inskip 5 goals) defeated Wests 24 (E.Robinson, J.Kellett, K.Dawes, J.Sattler tries; N.McDonald 6 goals)


Round 20 – 12/8/73

Valleys 56 d Wynnum Manly 7 (Neumann Oval)

Valleys showed why they are the competition front-runners, when they turned on a 12-try romp at Neumann Oval, thrashing Wynnum-Manly 56-7. It was almost a training session for the makeshift Diehards, who rested centre Gerry Fitzpatrick, prop John Crilly, and five-eighth captain Marty Scanlan. Halfback Ross Strudwick had an absolute field day, setting up three brilliant tries, scoring one himself, and landing nine goals from 12 attempts. Centre Bob Beatson was also outstanding for Valleys, capping a brilliant defensive effort with three great tries. Winger Harry Kirk also crossed the line three times for the Diehards, while opposite winger Paul Gayler scored twice.

The Seagulls offered plenty of resistance during the first half, but the mounting scoreline after the break tore their hearts out. Johnny Rhodes was easily their most dangerous player, creating opportunities whenever he touched the ball. But far too often he had no support. the seagulls only try by winger John Callus, came directly from a Rhodes line bust. Second-rower Tony Perkins was another to star for Valleys, with an individual tackling performance that stopped many Wynnum-Manly movements.

Valleys hooker Hugh O’Doherty also proved a thorn in the Seagulls side, winning scrums clearly and stealing possession on a number of occasions. His try was the first of the match, and came from a typical scurrying rush from dummy half.

Scorers: Valleys 56 (B.Beatson 3, H.Kirk 3, P.Gayler 2, Gurnett, R.Strudwick, T.Perkins, H.O’Doherty tries; Strudwick 9, A.Mills goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 7 (J.Callus try; P.Inskip 2 goals)


Round 21 – 19/8/73

Easts 49 d Wynnum Manly 5 (Davies Park)

International centre John Rhodes had a season ravaged by injury

Easts went on a try-scoring rampage at Davies Park, when they hopelessly outclassed Wynnum-Manly 49-5 in a match that resembled more of a training run. Winger Graham Lawson crossed for three tries, while prop-forward and Kangaroo hopeful Rod Morris scored twice, in the Tigers 11-tries-to-one thumping of the Seagulls. Scoring 8 of the 11 tries were the Easts forward pack, who punished their lighter opponents for the entire 80 minutes. Hooker John Lang was the best of the Tigers forwards, and scored twice for his effort.

Although out-hooked by Lang, Seagulls rake Peter Theofanes tried hard, and came up trumps for his side’s only try late in the match.

Only Ken Churchill, Ian Ogbourne and Bob McMullen showed any forward dash for the baysiders, while the loss of both halves Harry Seaton and Bob Hardie was a devastating blow to Wynnum-Manly’s attack.  

Scorers: Easts 49 (G.Lawson 3, R.Morris 2, J.Lang 2, A.Shepherd 2, J.Fyfe, P.Khan tries; Watt 8 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 5 (P.Theofanes try; P.Inskip goal)