Round 1 – 23/3/80

Wests 22 d Wynnum Manly 13 (Kougari Oval)

Wayne Smith outhooked State hooker Gary Prickett winning the scrums 16-14

After not winning a match during the Woolies pre-season, Wests put in a polished performance to stun Wynnum Manly 22-13 at Kougari Oval.

In a frustrating first half, referee Terry Canavan was forced to pack 17 scrums and award 13 penalties in a stop-start opening term. Even though handling was marginally better in the second stanza, when both sides turned on the attack, it was superb.  Every try during the match was the result of great team efforts, especially one by Adrian Coolwell which would run close to any of the best seen in Brisbane for many years.

The Panthers held the baysiders 9-5 at the break, before Gary Seaton chimed in with a tidy individual effort to put the home side in front after 55 minutes. This was their second effort in the lead, after replacement centre Barry Legge scored a superb try early in the match.  But Wests, led by Wayne Carr and Mark Crear in attack, and Steve McCosker and Mark Trimble in defence, took the game away with an inspirational last 25 minutes. McCosker broke the line for a 30-metre gallop and sent centre Rowan Brennan away for the try of the match in the 62nd minute.

Panthers fullback Adrian Coolwell showed class throughout the match and thoroughly deserved his two tries. Winger Peter McDonald also scored a try and kicked five goals in a solid day for the Panthers.

The Seagulls weren’t short on good performances either, with Peter Winton and Ray “Tank” Duncan crash-tackling anything that moved in sterling efforts.  But their efforts were negated by the loss of star signing Des Morris who is out with a broken jaw for six weeks.  Reigning third grade premiers Wynnum-Manly had too much class winning 28-12, while Wests won a rough-house affair in reserve grade 15-11.

Scorers: Wests 22 (A.Cowell 2, P.McDonald, R.Brennan tries, McDonald 5 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 13 (B.Legge, G.Seaton, M.Bendall tries, W.Smith 2 goals).


Round 2 – 30/3/80

Redcliffe 36 d W/Manly 11 (Kougari Oval)

Seasoned utility Tony Obst and ever-reliable fullback Bunny Pearce spearheaded a 36-11 rampage over a hapless Wynnum-Manly at Kougari Oval.  In oppressive conditions, Pearce rattled up 18 points from two tries and six goals in a sterling performance, while former state centre Obst relished his new position in the forwards and rewarded with a blockbusting effort to score a try.

Pearce caused mayhem for the Seagulls all afternoon as he continually chimed into the backline, serving centres Chris Close and Willie Atkins well.  He also managed to put wingers Steve Bax and Kev Cherry away for numerous breaks with well-timed passes, Bax crossing twice and Cherry once.

The match was effectively over as a contest by halftime as the Dolphins raced to a 20-3 lead. From there, the second half was fundamental football from Redcliffe, giving Wynnum-Manly no chance.  Terry Webb also scored a great individual try, breaking up to four tackles on his way to the line.

Col O’Brien, Brian Walsh, and Smith scored tries for the home side, with Finch landing a goal. There wasn’t a weak link in the Dolphins side, but Obst, Pearce, Webb, Close, Cherry and hooker Bob Jones were probably the standouts. Redcliffe won the first game of the afternoon when they rolled the reigning third grade premiers 19-9, while the Seagulls exacted some revenge 18-12 in reserves.

Scorers: Redcliffe 36 (I.Pearce 2, S.Bax 2, T.Obst, T.Webb, K.Cash, S.Cherry tries, Pearce 6 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 11 (C.O’Brien, B.Walsh, W.Smith tries, M.Finch goal)


Round 3 – 5/4/80

Norths 16 d Wynnum Manly 10 (Lang Park)

Wynnum Manly second rower Wayne Bullock tackled by Norths captain Mark Graham

In a lack-lustre and forgettable Saturday match at Lang Park, a bumbling Norths side scratched out a lucky 16-10 result over Wynnum-Manly.  With only periods of bright play, the highlight of the match was undoubtedly the comedy of errors and the fact no players were sent off by referee Bill McKenny.

The match was close throughout, with sloppy handling breaking down most attacking moves.  The Devils looked the better during the early stages, with clever play and support players backing up the ball carriers at all costs.  Eventually they were rewarded with a great try to second-rower Tony Proberts. The conversion by Gary Warnock, followed by a penalty from a scrum, put Norths out to a comfortable 9-0 lead.  However, poor handling by the Devils turned possession over on too many occasions.

Weight of possession paid dividends for the Seagulls, with a great passage of open play leading to hooker Wayne Smith’s try just before half time.  A penalty goal was all the Devils could muster during all but the last two minutes of the second stanza.  Devils centre Brian Dunn had a shocker of a match, mistiming passes, dropping the ball over the line and inexplicably dropping the ball when about to deliver the final pass to Brian Bird for a try.

The Seagulls eventually fought back with another converted try to draw within one point of Norths.  However, a woefully misguided pass with only two minutes remaining found the waiting hands of Dunn, who raced away for a 70 metre intercept try, and two premiership points.  Best players were Ziggy Strasser, Mark Murray, Nev Draper and Campbell Dews for Norths, while Phil Attel, Terry Wesche, Brian Walsh and Ian French tried hard for the baysiders.  The unlucky Seagulls left Lang Park without anything to show as Norths also took the earlier grades 21-13 in reserves and 13-11 in thirds.

Scorers: Norths 16 (T.Proberts, B.Dunn tries, G.Warnock 5 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 10 (W.Smith, I.French tries, M.Finch goal).


Round 4 – 13/4/80

Wynnum Manly 16 d P/Brothers 5 (Kougari Oval)

The Seagulls may have unearthed a new star in Michael Finch here seen kicking for touch

Wynnum-Manly finally broke the drought with a plucky 16-5 win over a disappointing Brothers at Kougari Oval.

The Seagulls may have unearthed a new star, with half Michael Finch the standout player of the match. He engineered both tries for the baysiders and capably landed five goals in a dominant performance. In defence, he was rock-solid in both the tackling department and cover.  Finch cleverly kicked through and regathered before sending winger Harry Minz to within metres of the line.  An ensuing scrum and penalty eventually saw prop Glenn Hoppner crash over.

Later, a sustained attacking raid saw second-rower Gary Seaton pop a neat pass to fullback Phil Attel who scored untouched beneath the posts.  One missed tackle allowed Brothers second-rower Greg Quinn to dive over from close range, with replacement Len Chemello landing the extras.  Wynnum-Manly never really gave the Brethren a chance in the match, as they successfully set out to control the ball and monopolise possession from the outset. The Seagulls also took C grade 10-3, while the Fighting Irish won reserves 29-8.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 16 (G.Hoppner, P.Attell Tries, M.Finch 5 goals) defeated Brothers 5 (G.Quinn try, L.Chemello goal).


Round 5 – 19/4/80

Souths 45 d Wynnum Manly 4 (Lang Park)

Souths put their premiership prospects back on track in the Saturday match at Lang Park, when they steamrolled a flat Wynnum-Manly 45-4 in a superb performance. The Seagulls had no answer to the Magpies machine, nor to Souths powerhouse young centre Mal Meninga. Meninga notched another 27 points from a hat-trick of tries and 9 goals from 11 attempts, now racking up 74 points from five matches and leading the League’s tryscoring list.

From the 4th minute when Meninga crashed through three defenders for the first try, the Magpies looked in charge.  A second Meninga try scored from fantastic team passing and tries also to forwards Chris Phelan and Dave Brown left the Seagulls floundering 18-4 at half time.

There was no complacency from the Magpies after the break, with Meninga barging over for his third five minutes after the resumption.  A procession of points ensued with Billy Argeros, centre Bruce Astill twice, and winger Gary Thompson all crossing for three-pointers.  The most pleasing aspect of the Magpies performance to coach Bob McCarthy, was the non-stop support for the ball-carrier.

Half Michael Finch and hooker Wayne Smith landed a penalty goal each for the Seagulls.  Although trying hard, none of the Seagulls players were given an inch to perform, however hooker Smith won scrums 13-8.  For Souths, Meninga, Brown, Phelan, prop Geoff Naylor, and five-eighth Chris Kealey were perhaps the best in a side that showed no weaknesses. Meninga also took out the weekly Winfield/Channel 9 award.

Scorers: Souths 45 (M.Meninga 3, B.Astill 2, G.Thompson, B.Argeros, D.Brown, C.Phelan tries, Meninga 9 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 4 (M.Finch and W.Smith goals)


Round 6 – 25/4/80

Easts 35 d Wynnum Manly 18 (Langlands Park)

Wynnum centres Mal Clark and Paul Brennan stop this Easts attacking raid

Mark Payne and former state fullback Alan Power both had form reversals to star for Easts in their 35-18 belting of a hapless Wynnum-Manly at Langlands Park.  Although not maintaining intensity for the full 80 minutes, the Tigers always had the match in their keeping as they piled on 9 tries against the Seagulls, displaying far too much firepower in the backs.

Seagulls hooker David Green relished his new role as captain with a hat-trick of tries, although surely disappointed with the overall result.  It was Green who opened the scoring in only the second minute with a smart individual try.  The baysiders matched the Tigers in most departments for the first period of the match, until Payne crossed for the equalising try in the 19th minute.  When Power strolled over 7 minutes later, the floodgates opened for the Seagulls defence.

Wayne Bozier and Tony Anderson scored for Easts either side of the break, and at 18-5 the game was all Tigers. Lock Zac Sarra, replacements Peter Dunne and Shane McNally,  fullback Michael Booth and half Greg Sutton all crossed in a devastating second half.

Wynnum-Manly centre Paul Brennan scored the Seagulls other try, who with Green’s two second half tries, made a total of 13 in an entertaining match, thrilling the big turnout of fans.  Injuries to key players also saw the Seagulls play the last 10 minutes with 12 men.  

Lock Gary Seaton, second-rower Graham Goshnick and Green were the best for Wynnum, while Payne, Power, Anderson and Sarra starred for the victors. Easts also took the lower grades 26-7 in reserve grade and 15-7 in third grade.

Scorers: Easts 35 (M.Payne, A.Power, W.Bozier, T.Anderson, Z.Sarra, P.Dunne, S.McNally, G.Sutton, M.Booth tries, J.Harris, Power, McNally goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 18 (D.Green 3, P.Brennan tries, T.Miller 3 goals).


Round 7 – 4/5/80

F/Valley 31 d Wynnum Manly 6 (Neumann Oval)

Valleys speedster Doug Muir laid his claims for a representative wing position with a sizzling four-try display in Valleys’ 31-6 thumping of the hapless Seagulls at Neumann Oval.  Muir, a former state winger, gave away a professional sprinting career to have another year at Valleys, and the decision has come up trumps for himself and the Diehards.

Scoring seven tries to nil, Valleys outclassed the baysiders in ever facet of play and at 15-2 just before halftime, any hopes the Seagulls held for a comeback were gone when referee Eddie Ward dismissed lock Bill Smythe for flattening Diehards lock Wally Lewis.

Mick Neill’s penalty goal, his fourth at that stage, left Valleys unassailable at 17-2 going in to the break.  Alan Mills scored first in the 14th minute and Doug Muir crossed twice during the first half, in the 16th and 33rd minutes, the first being the try of the match.  A long Ross Strudwick pass sent centre Vic Wieland racing clear down the right touch line, before Muir perfectly timed his inside run to take the pass and score untouched between the posts.

Two early second half penalty goals to winger Phil Cass momentarily gave Wynnum-Manly fans a glimmer of hope, before Muir’s third try put the result beyond doubt.

Fringe first-grader Arch McSween, replacing vice-captain Ian Sommer, gave a strong all-round performance and was rewarded with a try in the 63rd minute.  This was followed by five-eighth Peter McWhirter in the 76th and Muir’s fourth touchdown in the 79th, completing a masterful display by the undefeated competition leaders.  In lower grade matches, Valleys also annexed reserve grade 21-13 and third grade 19-2 in the grand final re-match.

Scorers: Valleys 31 (D.Muir 4, A.Mills, A.McSween. P.McWhirter tries, M.Neill 5 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 6 (P.Cass 2, T.Miller goals).


Round 8 – 18/5/80

Wynnum Manly 18 drew Wests 18 (Purtell Park)

Wynnum Manly prop Glen Hoppner comes off second best in this exchange

A surprisingly big crowd turned out at Purtell Park for the game between the two bottom-placed teams, and were treated to a thrilling contest.  The final scoreline of 18-all was a fitting result in a match that had everything.

Panthers regular winger and stand-in captain Marc Svenson, took the reins at the unfamiliar position of lock, and played well for the missing Norm Carr.  The seasoned Wynnum-Manly forward pack and Wests makeshift but sizeable pack tore into each other ferociously from the outset.

Referee David Manson was kept busy all day and was constantly required to intervene in a number of heavy contact situations.  A final penalty count of 23-12 in the Seagulls favour was negated somewhat by the dismissal of their skipper Des Morris for an off-the-ball incident involving Panthers winger Jim Vanderham.  

Vanderham and centre Rowan Brennan scored for Wests in a spectacular first half, while hooker David Green crossed for the Seagulls. Leading 8-7 at the break, second-rower John Tatten steamed onto a floating pass to crash over for a vital 13-7 lead.

An all-in-brawl erupted soon after the try, with referee Manson giving a long lecture afterwards to Seagulls Des Morris and Ray Duncan, and Panthers Bill Whitmore and Mark Trimble.  When the ensuing penalty went the baysiders’ way, the big pro-Wests crowd came alive.

Ian French then scored for the Seagulls, followed by four more penalty goals to fullback Tony Miller, giving them an 18-15 lead over Wests.  It was that man Svenson who scored with a minute to go and level the score, after terrific play involving Vanderham and replacement centre Greg Neven.  Vanderham had the conversion to seal the match but the kick sailed wide.  Wynnum-Manly won reserve grade 18-7, while Wests held out for an 18-17 win in third grade.

Scorers: Wests 18 (J.Vanderham, R.Brennan, M.Svenson, J.Tatten tries, Vanderham 3 goals) drew with Wynnum Manly 18 (D.Green, I.French tries, T.Miller 6 goals).


Round 9 – 25/5/80

Wynnum Manly 16 d Souths 7 (Davies Park)

Wynnum Manly second rower and captain Des Morris paved the way for their upset win with an outstanding performance

In the boilover of the season thus far, bottom-feeders Wynnum-Manly shocked Souths 16-7 at Davies Park.  The disappointing loss is not what either Souths officials or the BRL wanted to see, as the Magpies prepare to take on undefeated leaders Valleys in the Presidents Cup final next week.

Star for the Seagulls was their powerhouse forward pack with Des Morris at the helm. Morris, along with Ray Duncan, Graham Goshnick, Gary Seaton, David Green and Ian French, put in blockbusting performances to play right over the top of a Magpies pack lacking sting without state representatives Dave Brown and Geoff Naylor.

A sensational John Salter try after only five minutes, gave the impression Souths would repeat their 45-4 hiding of the first round.  However, the Seagulls dug in and defied waves of Magpies unimaginative attack to only trail 5-2 at the break.  

The baysiders forward thrust took full control in the second half however, resulting in tries to Seaton, Green and half Terry Saunders, two of which came within 3 minutes of each other.  Once the Seagulls gained the lead, they never looked like relinquishing it.  Had fullback Tony Miller kicked more accurately, the score could have been quite embarrassing for the Magpies.

Souths lock Billy Argeros will also have to front the BRL judiciary after debutante referee Doug Manson dismissed him for an apparent kneeing incident. Souths also won both earlier grades.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 16 (G.Seaton, D.Green, T.Saunders tries, T.Miller 3 goals, B.Walsh field goal) defeated Souths 7 (J.Salter try, B.Tessman 2 goals).


Round 10 – 7/6/80

Norths 20 d Wynnum Manly 19 (Lang Park)

The Saturday match at Lang Park turned out to be yet another chapter in the 1980 season’s saga of the “forty minute Seagulls”.  After playing like champions in the first stanza, Wynnum-Manly capitulated in the forwards to crash 20-19 against a lacklustre Norths.

A sizzling first half saw centre Phil Attel, winger Peter Bishop and five-eighth Brian Walsh all cross for the baysiders, while fullback Tony Miller landed four goals from as many attempts, as they rattled up a commanding 17-8 lead at the break.  Although the Devils drew first blood with a Mark Graham try in the 9th minute and a slashing “Smokin” Joe Kilroy touchdown 22 minutes later, it was superb forward play led by star skipper Des Morris which dominated proceedings and left Norths defence in tatters.

However, Graham Lowe’s halftime dressing down in the sheds obviously did the trick as the Devils set about re-building lost pride after the break, and fought their way back into the contest.  Physical exchanges and some bone-jarring defence opened the second half, which some ugly football eventually resulting in a try to Devils centre Brian Dunn.  Then when co-centre Peter Dutton scored 4 minutes later, Simon Pollard’s conversion edged Norths back in front.

The Seagulls regained the lead in the 63rd minute with yet another penalty goal, before Pollard landed one in kind nearing fulltime for the win. Standouts were few, but kiwi second-rower Mark Graham and lock Nev Draper were the Devils best. Morris and Brian Walsh played well for Wynnum-Manly. Lower grade matches were shared, with the Devils taking reserves 28-23 and the Seagulls taking thirds 19-4.

Scorers: Norths 20 (M.Graham, J.Kilroy, B.Dunn, P.Dutton tries, S.Pollard 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 19 (P.Attell, T.Bishop, B.Walsh tries, T.Millar 5 goals).


Round 11 – 15/6/80

P/Brothers 34 d Wynnum Manly 21 (Corbett Park)

At Corbett Park, an incredible performance by 20 year old winger Bligh Davidson almost single-handedly won the match 34-21 over Wynnum-Manly. Davidson was amazing throughout the match, scoring three sizzling tries and pulling off 22 tackles.

Even coach Wayne Bennett couldn’t believe Davidson’s high tackle count. Injuries to seasoned Brethren pair Greg Holben and Paul Beauchamp allowed youngsters Andrew Hickey (19) and Robert Grogan (18) the opportunity to impress, which they both did.  Tries to John Weier, Davidson and Shane McErlean shot Brothers out a 15-2 lead only eight minutes from the break, before the Des Morris-led Seagulls came storming back with tries to Ian French and their best player Brian Walsh, for a 15-12 halftime scoreline.

Peter Lehman and Davidson scored soon after the break to put Brothers in a commanding 23-14 lead, before Seagulls winger Peter Bishop scored a long-range try to keep the baysiders in the match.  Prop Peter McNamara then crashed over 15 minutes from time, before Grogan and Davidson both scored in the last 5 minutes.  The boot of Tony Miller kept the Seagulls well in the match until the 76th minute try.

Lower grade honours were shared, with Brothers winning reserve grade comfortably 31-8 and reigning premiers Wynnum-Manly winning thirds 11-9.

Scorers: Brothers 34 (B.Davidson 3, S.McErlean, J.Weier, P.Lehman, P.McNamara, R.Grogan tries, G.Smith 3, G.Holben goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 21 (B.Walsh, I.French, T.Bishop tries, T.Miller 6 goals).


Round 12 – 22/6/80

Redcliffe 29 d Wynnum Manly 24 (Dolphin Oval)

Wynnum Manly hooker David Green scored an incredible four tries against Redcliffe

Dolphin Oval witnessed a hooking rarity, as Seagulls rake David Green crossed for four second-half tries in an amazing performance. Unfortunately though, it wasn’t enough for Wynnum-Manly as Redcliffe ran out close 29-24 winners.

The nuggety Green scored two tries with intelligent support play, another when he spotted a gap near the ruck from ten metres out, and his fourth was from a tap penalty only eight metres out when he caught the defence napping.  But it wasn’t enough to hold out a determined 12-man Dolphins outfit led by Tony Obst.

Obst was prominent in two of Redcliffe’s tries, scored one himself, and was passing the ball to Wally Fullerton-Smith when he was tackled without the ball.  The incident happened right on the Seagulls tryline and the referee awarded a penalty try.  The referee, Harry Dearness, also dismissed prop John Barber in the 28th minute after he appeared to attack the head of a Seagulls opponent.  However the send-off seemed to inspire Redcliffe, as they piled on three tries in the next ten minutes, one a penalty try, to lead 17-6 at halftime.

Green crossed for his first try seven minutes after the break, before Obst then scored his try eight minutes later.  Green then scored two tries in the space of three minutes to get the Seagulls back to 22-19, before a Pearce goal and Willie Atkins try sealed the victory.  Green’s fourth try came with five minutes left on the clock, but the Seagulls were a spent force.

Mark Schultz and Atkins also scored in the first half, with Bunny Pearce landing 7 goals from 9 attempts.  Although outdone 12-6 by Green in the scrums, the Dolphins missed nothing in attack with Bob Abbott capably covering for the missing Bob Jones.  Wynnum-Manly didn’t go home empty-handed though, winning reserve grade 10-8. However the Dolphins took third grade 11-7.

Scorers: Redcliffe 29 (W.Atkins 2, M.Schultz, T.Obst tries, penalty try, I.Pearce 7 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 24 (D.Green 4 tries, T.Miller 3, R.Mills 2, P.Cass goals).


Round 13 – 29/6/80

Wynnum Manly 28 d Easts 18 (Kougari Oval)

Wynnum centre Col O’Brien crossed for a try in the first half

Des Morris played a starring role in Wynnum-Manly’s comprehensive 28-18 victory over his old club Easts at Kougari Oval, effectively ending any plans the Tigers held of being part of the finals in 1980.

Led by Morris, props Ray Duncan and Gary Seaton, hooker David Green, lock Ian French and second-rower Graham Goshnick, the Seagulls methodically steamrolled an inept Tigers pack with short passing and rolling ruck play akin to rugby union.  Halves Mike Finch and Brian Walsh relished in the space they had to move, setting up continual backline attacking plays.  But it was Morris’ intelligent and dominant play which set the platform for the win.

Fullback Phil Attel set the precedent for the match early, when in the fourth minute he fielded a Shane McNally line drop-out and weaved his way through flimsy defence to score without a hand being laid on him.  In a try-for-try first half, Col O’Brien, Finch and Green crossed for the Seagulls, while Steve Stacey and Lucie Nobile scored for the Tigers, leaving the Baysiders ahead 18-10 at the break.

The second stanza began with tight play, before Robert Mills landed his fourth goal, leaving the Seagulls ahead by 10.  The last 15 minutes saw Jim Foreman and Mark Payne score for Easts, while Ian French and Finch scored for Wynnum-Manly. The Seagulls also won reserve grade 19-11, but the Tigers took third grade 26-16.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 28 (M.Finch 2, P.Attell, C.O’Brien, I.French, D.Green tries, R.Mills 5 goals) defeated Easts 18 (S.Stacey, M.Payne, J.Foreman, L.Nobile tries, S.McNally 3 goals).


Round 14 – 5/7/80

F/Valley 23 d Wynnum Manly 19 Lang Park

In the Saturday match at Lang Park, Valleys never got out of second gear when they bustled their way to an unconvincing 23-19 win over Wynnum-Manly.  The Seagulls earned the lions share of penalties and scrums during the match, but their inability to hold the ball cost them dearly.

The Diehards first three tries all came from lost possession by the baysiders, and only two late tries made the score look closer than what the match really was.  Valleys always had the result stitched, leading 18-9 at the break, and 23-9 with 15 minutes remaining.

Outstanding was the only way to describe Valleys lock, Wally Lewis, performance, as he charged over for three tries and young forward Craig Brodie continues to shine for the Diehards since his debut a fortnight earlier.  Scott Czislowski and Bryan Neibling also scored for Valleys, but the method with which the tries were created coupled with a distinct lack of ball being delivered to the backs must be of concern to skipper-coach Ross Strudwick.

For the Seagulls, hooker David Green performed his job admirably, but a visible lack of intensity continually thwarted attacking moves.  When possession was maintained however, the backline looked dangerous, with classy tries to Col O’Brien, Phil Attel and Michael Finch.  In lower grades, Valleys held out in the third grade grand final replay 16-9, while reserve grade ended in a 24-all draw.

Scorers: Valleys 23 (W.Lewis 3, S.Czislowski, B.Neibling tries, Czislowski 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 19 (P.Attel, M.Finch, C.O’Brien tries, R.Mills 5 goals).


Round 15 – 13/7/80

Wynnum Manly 39 d Wests 10 (Kougari Oval)

Wests 1980 season hit rock bottom when fellow cellar-dwellers Wynnum-Manly thrashed them 39-10 at Kougari Oval.  Ironically, the state’s best defensive player Norm Carr, appears to be fighting a lost cause on his own, as the Panthers diabolical defence conceded seven tries to a side they were expected to play a thriller against.

It was easily the Seagulls finest showing of the 1980 season thus far, their play well rehearsed and well executed.  Stars for the Baysiders were lock Ian French, who found himself running into space throughout the match, and seasoned skipper Des Morris, who continually hit the line hard and offloaded beautifully to support at pace – usually French.

Even when play would get bogged down, it was Morris who would settle play and lead his pack up the middle. Although George Bate scored the first try, the Seagulls dominated proceedings from the outset, with French, Robert Mills and Phil Attel all scoring during a 19-5 first half romp.  Attel’s try started the spree after seven minutes, when he sprinted, swerved, stepped, and even walked around defenders to score.

And it didn’t get any easier for the Panthers after the break, as Attel, Morris, Terry Saunders and Brian Walsh all crossed for tries, before Norm Carr was rewarded with one for Wests in the final minute. In lower grades, Wynnum-Manly also won reserves 22-6 while Wests won third grade 18-5.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 39 (P.Attel 2, R.Mills, B.Walsh, T.Saunders, I.French, D.Morris tries, Mills 9 goals) defeated Wests 10 (G.Bate, N.Carr tries, M.Crear 2 goals).


Round 16 – 19/7/80

Redcliffe 30 d Wynnum Manly 12 (Lang Park)

Wynnum Centre Robert Mills looks for support at Lang Park

In the Saturday Lang Park match, Redcliffe displayed clear superiority in humbling Wynnum-Manly 30-12. Unfortunately, the entertaining open-style football which the Dolphins turned on was witnessed by only a record smallest crowd for a match at league headquarters – a paltry 400 patrons.

On the positive side, it was the star quartet of centre Peter Leis, lock Tony Obst, second-rower Ian Thinee and mercurial fullback Bunny Pearce which formed the backbone of the much-needed victory.  Not to be outdone, prop Terry Webb and hooker Bob Abbott were inspirational during the few occasions that the Seagulls maintained attacking pressure.  A low point in the match saw Redcliffe’s exciting young centre Willie Atkins end his debut season with a broken leg early in the match.

Seagulls half, Terry Saunders, opened the scoring after only five minutes with a sensational try after a jinking run through a broken defensive line. However, the Dolphins had all the position, and they took the lead 4 minutes later when Mark Schultz capped off solid forwards rucking and scored near the posts.  A Steve Bax try just before the break, then tries to Chris Close and Terry Webb in the 12 minutes after the break, shot the dolphins out to a match-winning 22-3 lead.

Both sides went try for try in the last 20 minutes – Phil Attel, Ian French and Gary Seaton for Wynnum-Manly, and Peter Leis and Tony Obst for Redcliffe – but the Dolphins dominated proceedings much more than the six tries to four results would indicate.  Once again, the ever-reliable boot of Bunny Pearce with six goals from seven attempts provided a major buffer.  Third grade was also won by Redcliffe 16-10, while reserve grade ended 9-all.

Scorers: Redcliffe 30 (M.Schultz, C.Close, S.Bax, T.Webb, P.Leis, T.Obst tries, I Pearce 6 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 19 (T.Saunders, P.Attel, I.French, G.Seaton tries).


Round 17 – 27/7/80

Norths 23 d Wynnum Manly 8 (Lang Park)

Norths star signing of 1980, Kiwi test player Mark Graham, spearheaded the Devils effortless 23-8 win against a disappointing Wynnum-Manly in the incredibly labelled, match of the day at Lang Park.

A seemingly uninterested Seagulls side appeared to barely go through the motions, making a disjointed Devils performance look more credible than what it deserved to be.  Frustration got the better of firebrand Seagulls prop Ray Duncan, when he was sent off during the second half by referee Harry Dearness for a ‘stiff-arm’ tackle on his Devils opposite Shane Bernardin.

The purge on scrum infringements by the League officialdom continued, with 17 penalties awarded from the 32 scrums set down.  But Graham’s influence on the match was the highlight, with long well-timed passes creating havoc out wide for the Baysiders, and his line-breaking runs setting up three Norths tries from deep inside their own territory.

Electrifying fullback Joe Kilroy, and star half Mark Murray also split the Seagulls defence with regular monotony. Kilroy and centre Peter Dutton both scored during the first half, setting up a comfortable 12-0 buffer at the break.  Further tries to Brian Dunn and Murray in the second half saw Norths out 20-nil with 15 minutes to go.

Two late tries to Wynnum-Manly centre Phil Bliss were the only bright spots for an unflattering Seagulls showing.  Norths also won a dour reserve grade match 14-7, while Wynnum-Manly took third grade honours 22-20.

Scorers: Norths 23 (B.Dunn 2, J.Kilroy, P.Dutton, M.Murray tries, Dunn 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 8 (P.Bliss 2 tries, R.Mills goal).


Round 18 – 3/8/80

P/Brothers 29 d Wynnum Manly 17 (Kougari Oval)

Harry Minz throws a quick fire pass out to a support player

It took a coach’s half time blast and a superb second half by their halves for Brothers to steam home 29-17 against Wynnum-Manly at Kougari Oval.

The Seagulls were simply brilliant during the first half, with halves Terry Saunders and Brian Walsh cutting the Brethren to pieces for a 12-3 lead at halftime.  Tries to Saunders and hooker David Green set the home side on the path to victory during a dominant first stanza.  Only the Peter McNamara try gave Brothers, their coach Wayne Bennett, and their supporters, anything to smile about.

Bennett hammered his players during the break, and the spray did wonders.  It was a different side that took the field after the break, with five-eighth Peter Lehman and McNamara both scoring during a whirlwind first five minutes to put the fighting Irish ahead 13-12.  The Seagulls grimly held on during a physical 15-minute period, before Brothers clicked into top gear.

Winger John Weier, half Greg Smith, and Lehman all capped off long-range attacking moves to cross for tries between the 61st and 69th minutes.  Trailing 26-12 with 8 minutes remaining, Walsh scored a well-deserved try much to the delight of the Seagulls locals.  However, Brothers flyer Bligh Davidson finished off a tidy backline move to score at the death to complete the win.  The Brethren also won both lower grades, when they scored comprehensive 28-12 (third grade) and 21-11 (reserve grade) wins.

Scorers: Brothers 29 (P.McNamara 2, P.Lehman 2, J.Weier, G.Smith, B.Davidson tries, G.Holben 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 17 (T.Saunders, B.Walsh, D.Green tries, M.Finch 4 goals).


Round 19 – 10/8/80

Souths 34 d Wynnum Manly 4 (Kougari Oval)

Souths superb backline attack chopped Wynnum-Manly to pieces during a 34-4 blitz at Kougari Oval. Magpies halves Alan Brackin and Brad Sully brilliantly fed their backline with devastating effect, the winners pouring on eight tries to nil – Sully grabbing a hattrick for his efforts.

So dominant was Souths play, that no area of their performance could actually be faulted.  From the 3rd minute when Sully grabbed his first try, a brilliant individual effort, the Seagulls were never allowed an inch to claw their way back.  By halftime, Sully had crossed twice, and centre Mal Meninga and wing-flyer Mick Gramm once each, for a 16-4 lead.  Baysiders’ centre Michael Finch landed both of his attempts at goal from penalties, but they were never anything more than consolation points.  

On resumption after the break, the Magpies set about right where they left off, with five-eighth Alan Brackin scoring in the 46th minute, followed by Sully’s third 8 minutes later.  Replacement seagulls lock Darryl Heidke and prop Gary Seaton never gave in, and for a while Wynnum-Manly held on gamely.  But when prop Dave Brown bashed and barged his way over inside the final ten minutes, the rout was complete.

Possibly the best afield, Magpies skipper Bruce Astill, finally earned his reward with a sensational try two minutes from the end. Meninga had an uncomfortable day with the boot, landing only five from nine attempts at goal.  Winger Gary Thompson and second-rower Ash Lumby also had huge roles in Souths attack.  Souths continued their march into the finals in all three grades with a 19-8 in reserve grade and a 39-0 hammering in third grade.

Scorers: Souths 34 (B.Sully 3, M.Meninga, B.Astill, M.Gramm, A.Bracken, D.Brown tries, Meninga 5 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 4 (M.Finch 2 goals).


Round 20 – 17/8/80

Easts 31 d Wynnum Manly 12 (Langlands Park)

Easts finally discovered a winning combination when they demolished Wynnum-Manly 31-12 at Langlands Park. From the first minute of play, the Tigers went on the attack, prop Shane McNally landing a penalty goal.  Six minutes later, McNally forced his way over for a try, then converted, for Easts to lead 7-0.  Another McNally penalty had the Tigers out 9-0 after 10 minutes, before the Seagulls started to gain some possession.

Two Darryl Jenner penalty goals, followed by a superb team try eventually scored by Barry Legge, put the Baysiders back in the game at 9-7.  But Easts lifted a gear and ran in two more tries to Colin Scott and Mike Teevan running up to half time for a commanding 19-7 lead.  The Seagulls opened the second half strongly, and saw Legge controversially cross for his second try.  Legge apparently lost control of the ball when diving over the line, but the view of referee Harry Dearness was shielded by a number of Easts defenders.

The Tigers had far too much pace in attack and sting in defence for the Seagulls, and they dominated all facets of play for the remainder of the match. Easts centre Peter Fitzgerald was in everything during the second half and was rewarded with two top tries.  State players Colin Scott and Alan Power were superb for Easts, while half Terry Saunders and second-rower Darryl Heidke were best for Wynnum-Manly.  Easts also won third grade 29-8, while the reserve grade finished an 11-all draw.

Scorers: Easts 31 (P.Fitzgerald 2, C.Scott, M.Teevan, S.McNally tries, McNally 8 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 12 (B.Legge 2 tries, D.Jenner 3 goals)


Round 21 – 24/8/80

F/Valley 27 d Wynnum Manly 13 (Neumann Oval)

Shaun Johnson was rewarded with a try after topping the tackle count

In a controversial match at Neumann Oval, Valleys overran a fierce Wynnum-Manly 23-17 to seal the minor premiership.  However, talk after the match was not of the Diehards chances in the finals, but rather the brawling thuggery that took place throughout the 80 minutes.

Referee Harry Dearness was kept working overtime to keep the match from spiralling out of control. Continual flare-ups and fistic exchanges, saw Valleys president Dr Tom Dooley threaten to take his team off the paddock.  However, the violence wasn’t all one way, with the end result that Ross Strudwick from Valleys, and Wayne Bullock and replacement Darryl Heidke all being sent off.  However, when both sides concentrated on football, the play was terrific.

Centre Vic Weiland, lock Wally Lewis, second-rower Arch McSween and winger Peter Falvey all crossed for the Diehards during the first half, but woeful kicking by Scot Czislowski and Alan Mills let the Diehards good work down.  Two Brian Walsh goals, and a barging try to fiery prop Ray Duncan, kept the baysiders in the match 12-7 at the break.  But when Vic Weiland speared in for his second try shortly after the resumption, Lewis’ conversion gave the Diehards a match-winning 17-7 lead.

More brawling led to penalties putting the Seagulls in good attacking position, with lock Shaun Johnson and hooker David Green scoring within three minutes of each other.  But when Valleys winger scored a long-range try in the 59th minute, Wynnum-Manly looked a beaten side.  Falvey also scored his second try of the afternoon in the 67th minute, with Lewis and Mills both landing goals.  

Lewis for Valleys and skipper Des Morris for the Seagulls were both outstanding throughout the match.  Valleys also won the lower grades, 23-15 in reserves and 15-0 in thirds.

Scorers: Valleys 27 (V.Wieland 2, P.Falvey 2, W.Lewis, A.McSween, D.Muir tries, Lewis 2, A.Mills goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 13 (R.Duncan, S.Johnson, D.Green tries, B.Walsh 2 goals).


Match Report Source: Mike Higgison – BRL Historian