WSL Match 1 – 5/03/89

P/Brothers 19 d Wynnum Manly 16 (Lang Park)

Prop Mark O’Reilly was strong throughout the match for the Seagulls

Wynnum Manly lost their first State League match of the season, when secumbing to Brothers 19-16 in a tight fought contest at Lang Park.

Brothers thoroughly deserved their win crossing the try line four times and the score could have been worse for Wynnum had Cannon been online with his kicking.  Brothers scored two tries in each half and were always in control of the match.

Wynnum Manly’s plight was not helped when first grade coach Brian Walsh sensationally dropped two of his best players captain Doug Belford and goal kicking centre Noel Tierney, for turning up late to training.  Walsh said “Discipline starts on the training paddock so I had to do what was required.”  Both players were sorely missed by Wynnum and the result may have been different had they played.

The one shining light for Wynnum was fullback Brad Morgan, he was sensational every time he touched the ball and was awarded with two tries of his own.  Rod Doyle also had a strong game.

Scorers: Brothers 19 (G.Darwin, R.Cannon, B.Johnston, P.Anderson tries, Cannon goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 16 (B.Morgan 2, R.Doyle tries, Doyle 2 goals).


WSL Match 2 – 12/03/89

Wynnum Manly 26 d Wide Bay 24 (Maryborough)

Wynnum Manly try scorer Ross Ludlow

Wynnum Manly made the journey up the Bruce Highway to take on Wide Bay and snuck home with the points 26-24 in a see sawing encounter at Maryborough.

Halfback for Wynnum Doug Belford controlled the game beautifully and was the best player for Wynnum on the day.  He was rewarded with two tries and set up Ross Ludlow for his try in the first half.  Rod Doyle had an off day with the boot kicking only three goals from six attempts.

Wynnum took a 14 point lead in the second half with 10 minutes to left in the match and took their foot off the pedal and allowed to late tries in the closing stages of the match.

Best for Wynnum in the forwards was Gavin Allen, Creig Adams and Steve Malt, whilst in the backs Ross Ludlow, Rod Doyle and Darren Whipps were strong throughout.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 26 (D.Belford 2, R.Ludlow, P.Jones, D.Whipps tries, R.Doyle 3 goals) defeated Wide Bay 20 (P.Ovens, J.Ward, R.Harch tries, R.Radecliffe 4 goals).


WSL Match 3 – 19/03/89

Wynnum Manly 16 d Logan City 4 (Lang Park)

Wynnum Manly hooker Mark Gliddon goes on another darting run downfield versus Logan City 

Wynnum Manly’s 19 year old sensation Rod Doyle, Could be joining his big brother Jeff if Sundays match against Logan City is any indication.

The tall and well built five eighth tore the Logan City team apart on Sunday at Lang Park kicking four goals from as many attempts and continually proved to be the difference between the two sides.  His classy pivot play has now put the Seagulls into third position on the State League competition ladde

Doyle has already knocked back a contract to play with Newcastle this season opting instead to take on a Broncos scholarship and stay in Brisbane.  “We get decked out with gear, guidance on diets and are able to train with the club on special occasions,” Doyle said.  

Doyle want to make a mark in the Brisbane first grade competition and then look at his options, “We have a great young side here at Wynnum and we a really looking forward to a successful season, both personally a as a team.” said Doyle.

Coach Brian Walsh said, ” He was very happy with the side and is pleased with the results thus far.”

Whilst Doyle was the star for Wynnum on Sunday, halfback Doug Belford and forwards Peter Jones and Steve Malt were prominent also.  Best for Logan was the experienced Paul Bartier.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 16 (G.Street, Neil Tierney tries, R.Doyle 4 goals) defeated Logan City 4 (M.Hickey try).


WSL Match 4 – 26/03/89

Wynnum Manly 26 d North Qld 16 (Ingham)

Wynnum Manly second rower Creig Adams defence was a highlight he also took out player of the match honours

In extremely hot conditions Wynnum Manly made it three wins in a row as they had a resounding victory against North Queensland at Ingham on Sunday.  Coach Brian Walsh said “They are playing as a team and for each other, I am most of all happy about the defensive effort shown today.”

The match started with Doug Belford scoring a try when he opened up the defence of North Queensland with Doyle converting and taking Wynnum to a 6 points to nil lead.  This was followed up by a try from in form centre Noel Tierney and Wynnum had put 12 points on in the first 20 minutes of the match. 

Player of the match Creig Adams had his best game for the club this season with some bruising defence and lead from the front, he was rewarded with a try for his efforts.  

Darren Whipps and Darren Filewood were Wynnum’s try scorers in the second half with the Seagulls proving too strong for the Marlins.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 26 (D.Belford, Noel Tierney, C.Adams, D.Whipps, D.Filewood tries, R.Doyle 4 goals) defeated North Qld 16 (B.Holmes, J.McLeod, T.Robinson tries, A.Brunker 2 goals).


WSL Match 5 – 2/04/89

Redcliffe 23 d Wynnum Manly 22 (Dolphin Oval)

Wynnum Manly centre Noel Tierney one of Wynnum Manly’s best against Redcliffe

Wynnum Manly fell to pieces in the second half to be beaten 23-22 by the Redcliffe Dolphins in the Winfield State Rugby League clash at Neumann Oval on Sunday.

The Seagulls led 20-0 at halftime, but let the Dolphins bounce back and steal the match.  Seagulls coach Brian Walsh was obviously dis­appointed after the match and was reported to have said, he did not know what went wrong.  On the other hand Redcliffe coach Graham Olling should have been elated but he also was frustrated. 

Olling said, “When we fall apart, we fall apart in a big way.” He was obviously talking about his teams’ performance in the first half.  Walsh also said that a disallowed try to hooker Mark Gliddon in the second half was probably a try. 

The loss to the Dolphins cost Wynnum Manly dearly, they have slipped back to fifth on the points table behind Valleys, Central Queensland, Toowoomba and Easts.

Wynnum Manly’s points came from tries by Doug Belford, Rod Doyle and Noel Tierney, Doyle also kicked three goals. 

Redcliffe’s points carne from tries by Mick Anderson and W Stanley and three goals and a field goal by Trevor Benson.

Scorers: Redcliffe 23 (M.Anderson 3, W.Stanley tries, T.Benson 3 goals, field goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 22 (D.Belford 2, R.Doyle, Noel Tierney tries, Doyle 3 goals).


WSL Match 6 – 7/04/89

Norths 8 d Wynnum Manly 4 (Lang Park)

In a game that wasn’t the best viewing spectacle, Wynnum Manly were defeated by Norths 8-4 at Lang Park yesterday.

Each tram scored a try a piece however it was the goal kicking that ended up being the difference between the two sides, with Darryl Duncan landing two goals for the Devils.  Wynnum’s only try was scored by Noel Tierney, with Neil Wharton crossing the strip for Norths. 

There was too much dropped ball from both teams as the errors mounted and any fluent attack was almost impossible to maintain.

Best for Norths was again Duncan always looking dangerous whenever he touched the ball.  For Wynnum Peter Jones was brilliant in cover defence saving two tries in the second half of the game.

Scorers: Norths 8 (N.Wharton try, D.Duncan 2 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 4 (Noel Tierney try).


Round 1 – 23/04/89

Wynnum Manly 14 drew with Logan City 14 (Kougari Oval)

It was a case of the first team to put points on the board in the second half would emerge the winner of the Winfield Cup rugby league match at Kougari Oval on Sunday.

However it was not to be, neither Wynnum Manly Seagulls nor Logan City could break the 14-14 deadlock.  It was not for the want of trying by both teams. There were several attempts at field goals, but they were wide or short of the mark.  Seagull’s winger Lance Bel­ford scored two tries on the sodden hallowed turf.

Coach Brian Walsh was dis­appointed with Wynnum-Man­ly’s score. “We should have won, but we could not finish off our movements.  Five-eighth Rod Doyle could have been a match winner if he was on target with his goal kicking. He only managed one from several attempts.  Peter Jones also scored a try.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 14 (L.Belford 2, P.Jones tries, R.Doyle goal) drew with Logan City 14 (J.Alroe, M.Hickey tries, D.Hughes 3 goals).


Round 2 – 30/04/89

Souths 28 d Wynnum Manly 8 (Kougari Oval)

Rod Doyle was the best of the Wynnum backs

After a strong showing last start Wynnum Manly were totally outplayed by Souths losing their match 28-8 at Kougari Oval on Sunday.

It was the Floyd Hill show for Souths as he cut the Wynnum Manly team to ribbons and was dangerous every time he touched the ball. Floyd set up three tries and scored one himself in a dominant performance.

There were glimmers of good periods of play for the Wynnum Manly side, however too much dropped ball in crucial periods of the match killed the Seagulls.  Coach Brian Walsh said “If you can’t hold the ball, you won’t win the match,” it was a blunt but very obvious statement.

For Wynnum Peter Jones could hold his head up high and was outstanding in a losing team, with Rod Doyle the best of the backs.

Scorers: Souths 28 (S.Mohr, F.Hill, K.Sprouster, P.Hutchinson, L.Brownie tries, Mohr 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 8 (D.Whipps, B.Naylor tries).


Round 3 – 07/05/89

F/Valley 19 d Wynnum Manly 12 (Neumann Oval)

Valleys had to battle all the way to down a spirited Wynnum Manly Seagulls outfit 19-12 in the Winfield Cup rugby league clash at Neumann Oval yesterday.  It was Valleys who got away to an early start with a penalty goal in the first min­ute. This was followed by a try by their winger D.Pitt.  Pitt went in for a second try soon after to give Val­leys a 10-nil lead.

This seemed to fire Seag­ulls into action, from the kick off Wynnum-Manly forced their way down field to Valleys 25 where Greg Street sliced his way through for a try score be­neath the posts.  The try was set up by good forward work and some top ball skills by cen­tre Noel Tierney.  Tierney converted to take the score to 10-6 in Valleys favour.

Towards the end of the first half Richard Boys crossed for a try wide out to give Valleys to a lead of 14-6.  The Seagulls fought back in the latter end of the first half to force Valleys into numerous errors.  Wynnum kept the pres­sure on to half-time and went to the break trailing 14-6.

At the resumption of sec­ond half Wynnum Manly continued to keep play in Valleys territory.  This enabled Ross Hatley (making his A grade debut) to slice through from 30m out. He passed the ball to Rod Doyle who was backing up and scored under the posts. That try was convert­ed by Noel Tierney taking Wynnum Manly to their 12 points.

However, the Wynnum Manly pack with great as­sistance from the backs, still kept the pressure on Valleys.  Valleys were continually forced into errors. They dropped the ball often after only a couple of tackles.

In the 60th minute Glen Smith replaced Mark Glid­don due to a shoulder injury and soon after Joe Elisaia replaced Rob Brown who was taken out of play with an al­leged head high tackle from Valleys.

Valleys then broke through for a try in the cor­ner that was the only try scoring movement from Valleys in the second half. Wynnum forwards at this time were continuing their good work as a pack by driv­ing Valleys back in some real shoulder charging tackles.  The only addition to this half came with the field goal by T.Catton of Valleys, tak­ing their score to 19.  Wynnum held Valleys out for the remainder of the match.

Added to Wynnum’s in­juries list was Lance Belford who was taken from the field with a head injury. His replacement was Darren Pfeffer.  Coach Brian Walsh said the best forward was Peter Jowlet and best back Ross Hatley.  Next weekend’s game will be against Brothers at Crosby Park.

Valleys defeated Wynnum Manly Colts 32-8.  Try scorers for Wynnum were Chris Searle, Tony Clay­ton.  Best players for Wyn­num: Forwards – Grant Leckie and Chris Searle; Backs – Dax Wilson.

Valleys downed Wynnum Manly C grade 28-4. The Diehards were too strong for Wynnum Manly. On numerous occasions Wynnum Manly gave the ball back to Valleys on the first and second tackle. This kept the pressure on Wyn­num right throughout the match.

Coach McFadden made many changes throughout the match but this did not stem the try scoring of Valleys.  Best players for Wynnum were William Edwards in the backs and Paul Thomp­son in the forwards.  Try scorer: Edwards.

Wynnum Manly reserve grade was trounced by Valleys 26-4.  In the first 20 minutes of the match Valleys really as­serted their pressure and took control.  Wynnum Manly were continually pinned on their own try line.  The Seagulls were again guilty of making too many errors on the first or second tackles.  Try scorer for the Seag­ulls was Ricky Peterson.  Brad Morgan made his re­turn to senior football.

Scorers: Valleys 19 (S.Hegarty, D.Pitt, R.Boys tries, Hegarty 3 goals, T.Catton field goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 12 (G.Street, R.Doyle tries, Noel Tierney 2 goals).


Round 4 – 14/05/89

P/Brothers 19 d Wynnum Manly 16 (Crosby Park)

Second rower Steve Malt takes on the Brothers defence

It took a disputed try from a knock on by Brothers late in the first half enabling Brothers to get home against Seagulls first grade side 19-16.  The first half featured some very heavy defensive work by both sets of forwards.

First blood was the Brothers in the 25th minute with a converted try.  Brothers were able to hit back soon after with a disputed try which was converted from the sideline to give them a lead of  12-0.

Wynnum hit back immediately with the top try by Gavin Allan after some very good lead up work with by Brian Naylor and Noel Tierney, Tierney converted to take the score to 12-6.  A lucky try from a kick right on halftime, took Brothers and 18-6 lead at the break

After the halftime break Wynnum were able to keep pressure on Brothers for sustained periods. Doug Belford narrowed the gap when he went in beside the posts after good backing up by Gavin Allen.  Tierney converted to take the score to 18 -12.

From the kick off Wynnum were able to get back into Brothers territory very quickly and after some good forward played by Mark O’Reilly who was able to dive over wide out, this try was not converted giving Wynnum Manly the 16 points for the match.  The only addition to the score was a field goal by Brothers Gavin Darwin giving them their 19 points.

Best players for Wynnum were Gavin Allan (making his debut for Wynnum), Peter Jones, Mark O’Reilly and Darren Whipps was the best in the backs.

Scorers: Brothers 19 (J.McGraw, J.Ebrington, A.Crowther tries, G.Darwin 3 goals, field goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 16 (D.Belford, G.Allen, M.O’Reilly tries, Noel Tierney 2 goals).


Round 5 – 21/05/89

Redcliffe 16 d Wynnum Manly 10 (Dolphin Oval)

Creig Adams and Mark O’Reilly stock this Redcliffe player in his tracks

Redcliffe Dolphins dazzled the Wynnum Sea­gulls 16-10 in the Winfield Cup rugby league clash on a heavy track at Dolphin Oval on Sunday.

The first five minutes featured strong defence by both sides and Wynnum drew first blood when Dar­ren Whipps intercepted a Redcliffe pass from half­way.  Jason Egan converted to give the Seagulls a 6-0 lead. Redcliffe bounced back soon after, taking play from their own half to score a try when Wynnum forwards held off.

At this stage Redcliffe really kept the pressure on the Seagulls for long peri­ods.  Eventually they scored again with a controversial penalty try after the referee ruled a Wynnum player had interfered with the opposi­tion player going for the try line.  The try was converted to give Redcliffe a 12-6 lead. Following aggressive play by Wynnum forwards, Ross Ludlow went over wide out. The try was not converted and Seagulls went to the break trailing 12-10.

Redcliffe held Wynnum back on their 25 for the first 10 minutes of the second half. Midway through the half an all-in brawl erupted in­volving most players from both teams.  Two players from Red­cliffe and two from Wyn­num spent 10 minutes in the sin bin.  This robbed the match of much of its football attrac­tion.  Redcliffe added two pen­alty goals to take the final score to 16-10.  Penalties in the match fa­vored Redcliffe 13-2. Elev­en were in the second half. Best players for Wynnum were Paul Jones (wing) and Rob Brown (prop forward). 

Redcliffe Colts thrashed Wynnum 42-8.  Wynnum went to an early lead with tries to Nairn and Chaffey.  Redcliffe then hit back with tries and a conversion.  After Redcliffe hit the lead the Seagull Colts gave the game away with minimal effort in defence and attack.  Apparently these young players have to learn that to take the spoils for their match effort they must play grafting football or the entire 70 minutes.  Best forward for the Seagulls was Brad Nairn and in the backs Lester Murphy.

Wynnum C grade easily accounted for Redcliffe 20-8.  It was a determined Seagull outfit that took the field.  This match featured some heavy defence by both sides.  However, Wynnum’s mistake rate in the first half was very low while Red­cliffe’s was high.  First half tries for Sea­gulls were by Chillie, Williams and Lowe. Wynnum went to the break leading 14-2.

In the second half, run­ning with a strong wind, Wynnum were the first to put points on the board with an early try by John Elisaia which was converted by Lowe.  Wynnum were able to hold Redcliffe out until the 68th minute when the Dol­phins scored their first try.  Most of the play was then in Wynnum’s half.  Redcliffe looked danger­ous on many occasions but Wynnum’s defence held them out.  Best players for Wynnum were David Morgan in the forwards and Rory Ruhanen, who with his darting runs from half­back, was the best back.

The reserve grade match was one of the most undis­ciplined played.  The unforced error rate by Wynnum was far too high. This enabled Red­cliffe to run in three early tries.  After this there was no way they were going to let Wynnum back into the match.  Redcliffe piled on the points in the first half and went to the break leading 22-0.  Wynnum tightened up their defence in the second half, only allowing Red­cliffe in for another two tries.

Scorers: Redcliffe 16 (P.Robinson, D.Russell tries, R.Clark 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 10 (D.Whipps, R.Ludlow tries, J.Egan goal).


Round 6 – 28/05/89

Ipswich 28 d Wynnum Manly 12 (North Ipswich Reserve)

Wynnum Manly’s Steve Malt left the field due to an injury in the second half

Wynnum Manly rug­by league Winfield Cup teams were shot down by the Ipswich Jets in all grades at the weekend.  The rot set in from the outset with the Ipswich Colts downing Wynnum 72-2.  In C grade Ipswich de­feated Wynnum 14-6, re­serve grade was beaten by the Jets 44-8 and Seagulls lost the A grade match 28­-12.

For the first 30 minutes of the A grade fixture Wynnum Manly were able to keep pace with the Ipswich Jets in attack and defence.  Play during this time see-sawed from one end of the field to the other.  The Jets showed superi­or speed by bursting through the Seagulls cen­tre combination several times with some excellent ball work. However, good moves continually broke down and it was some time before the Jets broke through.  Once the Jets were through it did not take them long to post an early 12-nil lead.

Wynnum then seemed to settle down and equal­ led the Jets in general play.  However, just before half-time it was the Jets once again who were able to break through and score wide out wide.  From the kick-off Wyn­num hit back with a good wingers try by Paul Jones.  The try came after good lead up work by Wyn­num’s forwards.  Jason Egan converted to give Ipswich a 16-6 lead at half-time.

Straight after the break Ipswich were able to score once again after some fee­ble attempt at tackles by the Wynnum forwards.  From then Ipswich con­trolled the play before going over for another try in the 60th minute.  This forced Seagulls coach Brian Walsh to make a change. Darren Whipps was replaced by Ross Ludlow.  Another forced change came soon after with Ste­ven Malt taken off with an injury.  Malt was replaced by Neil Tierney.

Ipswich continued to show superior speed and took advantage of the con­tinuous breaks by their backs.  Again Walsh made changes with Doyle and Brown taken off, their places being taken by Hatley and Davis.  Walsh’s move seemed to inject some new enthusi­asm into Wynnum’s at­tack. It paid off with good running by Greg Street and Brian Naylor result­ing in a try to Lance Bel­ford.  Egan added the extras to take the final score to 28-12.

Best player for Wyn­num Manly was the ever­green Brian Naylor. Nay­lor’s attack and defence was superb.  It appears that Wyn­num coaches will now have to have a long hard look at defensive patterns in all grades after the dismal displays.  In the four matches Ipswich registered 158 points to Wynnum’s 28.

Scorers: Ipswich 28 (C.Baker 3, A.Walters, R.Ovens tries, E.Hunter 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 12 (Paul Jones, Lance Belford tries, J.Egan 2 goals).


Round 7 – 04/06/89

Easts 24 d Wynnum Manly 16 (Kougari Oval)

Eastern Suburbs Tigers had to fight all the way to hold out Wynnum-Mamly Seagulls in the A grade Winfield Cup rugby league clash at Kougari Oval on Sunday.  The Tigers better ball control told in the final scoreline of 24-16.  Seagulls put Tigers under pressure in the first 20 min­utes with some determined defence by the entire Wynnum pack.  Wynnum props O’Reilly and Tierney continually made inroads into Fasts quarter but many scoring  chances lost out with final passes.

It was the Seagulls who put the first points on the board with a top winger’s try by Lance Belford after good lead up work by Wyn­num centre Greg Street.  Jason Egan was unable to add the extras and the Seag­ulls led 4-0.  From the kick-off Easts were able to hold Wynnum down in their own 25 but it was Wynnum who hit back again with some top attack­ing play.

The Tigers were again pinned down in their own quarter but a dropped ball on the final tackle allowed Easts to regain possession.  At the 29th-minute mark if was Fasts who went in for a try after some good lead up work by their forwards.  Missed tackles by the Seagulls allowed Tigers to keep the ball alive. Wynnum-Manly’s attack was reduced to 12 men when Peter Jones received five minutes in the sin bin for an infringement.  Easts capitalised on this and went in for another try taking the half-time score to 8-4.

After the break Easts hit back early with two very quick tries to give them a 15-4 lead.  However, Wynnum, not to be denied, held on and the forwards again put Easts or, their back foot.  Easts hit back after some sustained attack with an­other backline try.

Tigers attack was just too good for Wynnum, but Wynnum, with minutes re­maining in this match, were to hit back with a try by Gavin Allen.  The try came after a high kick through by Wynnum with the Easts players spill­ing the ball over their try line, Allen was able to pick this ball up and dive over two Easts Players to score. The full-time score was Easts defeated Wynnum 24-15.  The point to came out of this match was that Wyn­num can still match it with the big name clubs.

Scorers: Easts 24 (M.Quinn, B.Price, S.Dowden, M.McDonald, R.West tries, Quinn 2 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 16 (P.Jones, L.Belford, G.Allen tries, L.Belford 2 goals).


Round 8 – 11/06/89

Wynnum Manly 32 d Wests 28 (Kougari Oval)

Wynnum Manly A grade rugby league side registered their first Winfield Cup win of the season against Western Suburbs at Kougari Oval on Sunday.  The Seagulls staged a gallant comeback to down Wests 32-28.

Wests put the first points on the board with a penalty goal after on after two min­utes. They increased the lead to six points soon after with a try by T.Whaleboat. Three minutes later, Wests were in again for another try after some poor defence by the Wynnum forwards.

It was not until the 20 minute mark that Wynnum hit back with a solid try by Mark Gliddon after a charging run from five metres out, Jason Egan converted and Seagulls trailed 10-6. It looked like Wests were going to take control of the match the Panthers seemed to be hungry for the ball. However, after several cautions for in­side the five metres a Wests player was sin­binned.  Seagulls made the most of the opportuni­ty and hit back after some top work by of­fence. Wynnum Manly had the chance to hit back after good work by the backs namely Street, only to see Egan drop the ball over the line.

Wests counter-attacked with only six minutes remaining in the first half, with a try by Childs. It was converted to give Wests an 18-6 lead at the break.

After only nine minutes had gone in the second half Wests hit back again with a try. This seemed to spur the Seagulls into ac­tion. Front rower Neil Tierney made some damaging runs. He put first points on the board for Wynnum in the half after a good barging try.  Wests led 24-10 but increased it to 28-10 after a “soft try”.

However, one sensed that Wynnum had the initiative to make Wests fight all the way.  After some damaging runs by Gavin Al­len and Brad Morgan chiming in from full­back for Wynnum, it was Doyle who was able to race over under the posts for a try which was converted by Egan.  With eight minutes to go, Lance Belford after some good lead-up by the Wynnum backs was able to charge over wide out for a good winger’s try.  Seagulls had narrowed Wests lead to only two points, 28-26. 

From the kick-off, Wynnum after some damaging runs by Neil Tierney, and back­up by Brian Naylor scored. Naylor took the Final pass and dived over the line to put the Seagulls in front.  Wynnum defence then held out Wests for the remaining 60 seconds.  Best players for Wynnum were prop for­ward Neil Tierney. Brian Naylor and Gav­in Allen.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 32 (L.Belford 2, B.Naylor, N.Tierney, M.Gliddon, R.Doyle tries, J.Egan 4 goals) defeated Wests 28 (W.Reis, B.McMillan, T.Whaleboat, P.Childs tries, G.Duncan 4 goals).


Round 9 – 18/06/89

Norths 20 d Wynnum Manly 10 (Bishop Park)

Second half replacement John Elisaia pushing for a starting place in the team

Norths had to pull out all stops to down Wynnum-Manly 20-­10 in the Winfield Cup rugby league match at Bishop Park on Sun­day.  In the first stanza of play, it was all Wynnum with same good forward running especially by the two props, Mark O’Reilly and Neil Tierney.  O’Reilly and Tierney really took it up to the Norths forwards and it was Devils who made mis­takes because of the top defence.

However, it was Norths who were to hit back first with a try after a Wynnum mistake. The try was con­verted to give them a 6-0 lead.  Wynnum still kept pres­sure on the Norths pack, and it was Darryl Whipps who raced over and scored a try in the 30th minute. The try was converted by Egan to lock the scores up at 6-all.  On several occasions Wynnum had the chance to put points on only to see play break down with a forward pass.  Going to the break at half time, the scores were stilt locked at 6-all. Players to stand out in the first half for Wynnum were Peter Jones, Gavin Allen and Mark O’Reilly. 

After the break, it was Whipps who was in again for an early second half try after some good lead-up work by Doug Belford and Gliddon. These were to be Wynnum’s last points for the match.  However, the way they were playing they were not out of the match. Norths went in for another try off a Wynnum mistake. Two Seagull players were un­able to control the ball in their own in-goal area, let­ting a Norths player in for a try.  Brian Naylor then left the field with a kidney in­jury. His place at lock was taken by Rod Doyle.

Norths hit again after a penalty was awarded against Doug Belford for an indiscretion in play the ball. From the penalty, Norths were able to score a try.  Wynnum still continued to apply pressure on Norths. Stand-in captain Peter Jones led well inspir­ing the players but Norths were able to go in with five minutes to go through the efforts of Darryl Duncan.  Duncan was the danger man for Norths side, His try was converted to take the full-time score to 20­10.  Wynnum’s best forward was Peter Jones and back was Lance Belford.

Scorers: Norths 20 (D.Crameri 2, D,Duncan, N.Wharton tries, Duncan, A.Harris goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 10 (D.Whipps 2 tries, J.Egan 2 goals).


Round 10 – 25/06/89

Wynnum Manly 24 d Logan City 22 (Meakin Park)

Wynnum Manly managed to roll Logan City 24-22 in the Winfield Cup rugby league clash at Meakin Park on Sunday.  The Seagulls started well and in the sixth minute were able to put the first points on the board with a try.  Egan’s conversion at­tempt was unsuccessful. Wynnum was able to keep the pressure on the Scorpions who again let Doug Belford in for a try af­ter some good lead up work by Whipps and Tierney. The conversion attempt was again unsuccessful but the Seagulls still managed to keep the pressure on. Both sides were guilty of silly handling errors and play see-sawed for several minutes.

In the 23rd minute, Wyn­num put the Scorpions fur­ther in arrears with a try by winger, Lance Belford.  The passage of play up to the try was first class. Wyn­num’s backline of Greg Street and Noel Tierney was responsible for putting Belford over in the corner. Wynnum led Logan 12-0 after the third conversion attempt also was unsuccess­ful.

In the 26th minute Wyn­num had a chance to add further points with a penal­ty following an infringe­ment in the play the ball by Logan City, however, it was unsuccessful.  Wynnum’s forwards con­tinually forced Logan City into numerous errors.

In the 30th minute Coach Brian Walsh was forced to make a change with Gavin Allen coming off with a leg injury. His replacement was Rod Doyle.  The Seagulls hit back again with Lance Belford going over for his second try after some lead-up work by Greg Street.  Jason Egan added the ex­tras to give Wynnum an 18­-0 lead at halftime. 

Straight after halftime, Wynnum hit back with a bruising run by Paul Jones on the wing. Jones went over under the posts. Egan converted to give Wynnum its 24 points.  Logan City then started to apply the pressure after reducing its mistake rate. The Scorpions were rewarded with at try in the 46th minute which was con­verted.  It only seemed to be sec­onds later when they were in again.

Wynnum forwards were not moving up on the Scor­pions and gave them plenty of room to make their moves.  Seagulls were able to re­gather their forces and hold the Scorpions out for quite a period. Then play for some reason by both sides, be­came ordinary with both sides making unforced er­rors.  Logan City hit back with a try under the posts. With 10 minutes to go Lo­gan City was able to race over again for a try after a fine kick through from one of its players, taking the score to 24-22.

Mark O’Reilly, who had been having a top game, was replaced by Colts player Jason Adams.  Wynnum’s defence picked up in the late stages and the side was able to hold the Scorpions out.  It was a top defensive ef­fort by the Seagulls who looked in danger of defeat as the Scorpions stormed home.  Best back was Lance Belford with two tries. He received strong support from centre Greg Street.  In the forwards captain Peter Jones and Mark O’Reilly were the pick.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 24 (L.Belford 2, P.Jones, D.Whipps, D.Belford tries, Noel Tierney 2 goals) defeated Logan City 22 (B.Hegarty 2, R.Wade, R.Kershaw tries, B.Finch 3 goals).


Round 11 – 02/07/89

Souths 22 d Wynnum Manly 12 (Davies Park)

Another consistent performance from Wynnum prop Neil Tierney

Southern Suburbs Magpies had too many guns for the Wynnum-Manly Seag­ulls in the Winfield Cup rugby league match at Davies Park on Sunday.  The Magpies kicked on to win 22-12 after the half­time scores were locked at 6-all.  Wynnum went into this match without the services of Brian Naylor and Gavin Allen.  However, the side given to Wynnum A grade by the selectors was a strong team.

Souths took the initiative early in general play and were helped by penalties to put them in front.  The Magpies were the first to cross the line after a poor kick by one of the Wynnum forwards in open play.  Wynnum had few oppor­tunities but a scoring chance broke down at the last moment.  Neil Tierney made some good barging runs and at one stage was held up over the line by the Souths defence.

The only points in the first half came through determined running by Greg Street which took play to Souths 25.  He unloaded the pass to Paul Jones who was able to out sprint the cover defence and score. Jason Egan converted and Wynnum went to the break with scores locked at 6-all.  In this stanza of play, Wynnum were actually on top of the Souths players with some determined run­ning by Neil Tierney and Mark O’Reilly. Just before half-time Wynnum was once again in a dangerous position to put points on the board.  Souths fullback flattened Paul Jones who was forced from the field by this incident.  The Souths player was sent from the field for the duration of the match. Af­ter resumption, with Souths playing with only 12 men, one would have thought that Seagulls would lift their game, however, this was not the case.

It was Souths who hit back with a try in the first minute of the second half. Soon after, Souths were down to 11 men after Brad Morgan was flattened in back play.  Wynnum failed to capi­talise and Souths scored an­other try after some poor defensive work by the Wyn­num forwards. This gave the Magpies a 14-6 lead.  Seagulls coach Brian Walsh then replaced Egan with Shane Lowe and Glid­don was taken off and his place was taken by Ricky Peterson.

However, this did not change Souths attacking ability as they were able to go in for another try with a chip kick over the Wynnum forwards.  Wynnum-Manly were not putting pressure on the Souths attackers and paid the penalty.  Souths led 22-6 after the conversion of the try.  

Right on full time, after two good kicks through by Sean Davis, Darren File­wood was able to race over for a try which was convert­ed by Noel Tierney, taking’ the final score to 22-12 in favour of Souths.  Best players for Wynnum were captain Peter Jones, Paul Jones and Greg Street. 

Scorers: Souths 22 (K.Robertson, G.Minton, K.Sprouster, L.Brownlie tries, S.Mohr 3 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 12 (D.Filewood, P.Jones tries, J.Egan 2 goals).


Round 12 – 09/07/89

Wynnum Manly 22 d F/Valley 21 (Kougari Oval)

Wynnum Manly front rower Mark O’Reilly punched holes all day in the Valleys defence

Wynnum Manly shut out Winfield Cup competition leaders Valleys in the A grade rugby league clash at Kougari Oval on Sunday.   The Seagulls, who are second last on the ladder, showed Valleys the way home when they snatched victory 22-21.   Played before a small crowd, possibly due to the Broncos playing at Lang Park, the Wynnum Manly side gave 80 minutes of football.  Valleys raced away early and led 20-4 at the half­time break.

However, it was Wyn­num who came back in the second half to put the pres­sure on Valleys.  Seagulls only points in the first half came from a try by the Wynnum- Manly hooker Mark Gliddon.  Wynnum-Manly centre Greg Street made several good breaks out wide during the half, but these broke down as players failed to back up the ball carrier. Valleys registered three tries to Wynnum Manly’s one in the first stanza.  

In the second half, much of Wynnum Manly’s hard work can be attributed to the two Wynnum-Manly front rowers, Mark O’Reilly and Neil Tierney.  With only four minutes gone, Wynnum scored their second try of the match af­ter some good lead up work by Doug Belford who was able to feed winger Paul Jones who went over for a try.  Jason Egan (five-eighth) was replaced by Brian Nay­lor.   

Wynnum continued to apply the pressure on the Diehards and after some good lead up work by the Wynnum forwards, it was Rod Doyle who was able to race over and score under the posts.  This try was converted by Noel Tierney. It was Wyn­num’s solitary goal. Wynnum were spurred on with the will to win and the desire to outplay the much vaunted Valleys side.  In the 75th minute, Wyn­num half  Doug Belford outwitted and outsprinted the Valleys side to go in for a try untouched.  

Wynnum forwards con­tinued to pressure Valleys line and with a minute to go front row prop Neil Tierney was rewarded with the win­ning try.  Valleys only points in the second half came from a field goal.

Wynnum play Brothers at Kougari Oval on Sunday. However, if Wynnum is able to maintain its momen­tum, it will really have to try to do the same thing with Brothers as it has done with Valleys.  I am quite sure coach Bri­an Walsh will have this on the player’s minds coming into next week’s game.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 22 (Paul Jones, R.Doyle, Doug Belford, Neil Tierney, Mark Gliddon tries, Noel Tierney goal) defeated Valleys 21 (B.Holmes, Z.Strasser, S.Hegarty tries, Hegarty 4 goals, P.Coyne field goal).


Round 13 – 16/07/89

Wynnum Manly 24 d P/Brothers 8 (Kougari Oval)

rothers prop Peter Anderson keeps Wynnum hooker Mark Glidden at arm’s length during yesterdays Winfield Cup match 89

Wynnum Manly Seagulls rolled Brothers 24-8 in a disciplined Winfield Cup A grade rugby league match at Kougari Oval on Sunday.  The game produced some good attacking play by both sides in the first 20 minutes. Wynnum pressured Brothers early but were held out.  It was not until the 33rd minute of play that Wyn­num were able to register their first points. Lock for­ward Rod Doyle went in for a try untouched from the scrum on Brothers 25.  Jason Egan converted to give the Seagulls six points. 

The first points in the match came from Gavin Darwin of Brothers. He scored a try after a defensive lapse by the Wynnum forwards.  However, once Wynnum scored their first points, it was only a matter of time before they were able to go in again for another try. It was Rod Doyle again, with a stepping run from the Brothers 25, who scored be­side the posts. Egan added the extras to take Wynnum to a 12-4 lead at half-time. Wynnum forward pack stuck to their game plan in the first half and were able to control the Brethren.

After the break both sides continued to run the ball, and play see-sawed from one of the field to the other.  In the 53rd minute Wyn­num winger Lance Belford went over for a four pointer. Egan converted to give the Seagulls an 18-4 lead. Coach Brian Walsh then made two field changes.  He took Seagulls hooker Mark Gliddon off and replaced him with Joe Elisaia and Rob Brown came on for Neil Tierney.

The solid dcfence was starting to tell on Wynnum-Manly.  Just after the changes were made it was Gavin Darwin of Brothers who was able to roll his way over for his second try for the Brethren. This was to be Brothers only points for the match.

In the 70th minute Wynnum second rower Peter Jones who scored after good lead up work by the forwards.  In this stanza of play, the Wynnum players were able to take play from their own 25 to Brothers line.  Egan converted to take the scores to 24-8.  He registered four goals from four attempts after Rod Doyle missed his first attempt.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 24 (R.Doyle 2, Lance Belford, Peter Jones tries, J.Egan 4 goals) defeated Brothers 8 (G.Darwin 2 tries).


Round 14 – 23/07/89

Redcliffe 25 d Wynnum Manly 10 (Kougari Oval)

Wynnum Manly player Jason Egan

Wynnum Manly remains at eighth place on the Winfield Cup rugby league lad­der after being beaten by Redcliffe 25-10 at home on Sunday.  The Kougari Oval crowd left disappointed after the Dolphins steamrolled the Seagulls in the last 30 minutes of the match.

Redcliffe scored the first points when winger Darren Thrupp scored the first of his three tries for the day.  Wynnum retalliated shortly after with a try by winger Lance Belford.  At half-time, Redcliffe led 12-4.

Ten minutes into the second half, Wynnum came within two points of the Dolphins when Darren Whipps crossed the line for the Seagulls.

Best for Wynnum Manly was Jason Egan looking dangerous every time he touched the ball and created headaches for the Redcliffe defence throughout the match.

Wynnum have a young team of stars but unfortunately lack consistency.  If this team can stick together with too many disruptions, I am sure they can bring a premiership to the club in the near future.

Scorers: Redcliffe 25 (D.Thrupp 3, G.Milne tries, D.Russell 4 goals, T.Benson field goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 10 (D.Whipps, L.Belford tries, J.Egan goal).


Round 15 – 30/7/89

Wynnum Manly 29 d Ipswich 16 (Kougari Oval)

In one of their best performances of the season the Wynnum Manly Seagulls defeated the Ipswich Jets by 29 points to 16. Wynnum Manly went into today’s game with one of their best sides of the season. Young Jason Adams made his debut in A Grade for Wynnum Manly. In the first seven minutes of play it was Wynnum Manly who were stretching Ipswich with some fine attacking by both backs and forwards.

However, it was Ipswich who were to post first points in the match when they caught Seagulls pack napping.  Olsen was able to fly through and ground the ball for their first points. Ipswich was able to go further ahead when they were able to land a penalty goal.  However, Wynnum with their still good attacking play were able to hit back and get play down into Ipswich’s twenty-five with some strong running from the backs. 

At the halfway mark of this first half it was Wynnum still who applied pressure on the Jets, but on several occasions, play was to breakdown with some poor passing especially on the first or second tackle­.

In the latter stages of this half Wynnum Man­ly were down to 11 men as Peter Jones and Mark O’Reilly were both spending time in the sin bin. However, Wynnum were able to level with one minute to go.  Soon after Wynnum were able to add another two points with a penalty goal by Doyle.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 29 (R.Doyle, D.Whipps, Neil Tierney, P.Jones tries, Doyle 6 goals, field goal) defeated Ipswich 16 (M.Furminger, G.Morrissy, B.Olsen tries, Furminger 2 goals).


Round 16 – 06/8/89

Easts 18 d Wynnum Manly 16 (Langlands Park)

In an entertaining match Eastern Suburbs were able to hold out the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls to notch two premiership points.  It was Wynnum who kicked off in the main game and it was not long for Easts to add the first points with a try. This try came about by the Easts team keeping the ball on the move, which was being helped by the Wynnum players not moving up and applying pressure on Easts.  This took Easts to four points after only five min­utes. In this period of play, Easts looked as though they would run away with this match but Wynnum with their grafting play were able to hit back shortly afterwards with a try by Sean Davies, after Neil Tierney was able to kick the ball through and Easts were unable to con­trol the ball, with Davis picking the ball up and racing over between the posts.  This try was converted by Rod Doyle.

Straight from the kick off it was Wynnum under pressure again after some poor ball handling, en­abling Easts to re-gather the ball and go in for an­other try.  During this stage of play it was Easts who were still being allowed to run as the Wynnum players were still not moving up in defence. Easts added fur­ther points in the 28th minute with a penalty goal after Wynnum was caught offside.  Soon after it was Easts again who were in for a try after they were able to pick up a dropped Wyn­num ball. This enabled Easts to race away to 14 points.

Straight after the kick­off in the second half, Easts were in for another try after some poor de­fence by the Wynnum for­wards. In the 50th minute Brian Naylor replaced Jason Adams who had suf­fered a leg injury.  From there it was Wyn­num, with some good luck, which they had not had in the first half, who put pressure on the Eastern Suburbs side. Wynnum was rewarded in the 65th minute with a try to Dar­ren Whipps after this phase of play.

Soon after, Wynnum was in once again with the try of the match after win­ning a scrum against the feed on their own twenty ­five.  It was Street who made the bust getting a good ball away to his cen­tre partner Noel Tierney, who was able to race away for a 60m try.  This try was converted by Doyle.

Scorers: Easts 18 (S.Dowden 2, G.Payne, B.Price troes, I,Stains goal) defeated Wynnum Manly 16 (S.Davis, Noel Tierney, D.Whipps tries, R.Doyle 2 goals).


Round 17 – 13/8/89

Wynnum Manly 34 d Wests 10 (Purtell Park)

Wynnum Manly had a convincing 34-10 victory over Wests in the Winfield rugby league cup series at Purtell Park on Sunday. The win puts them and Wests on level pegging on the cup ladder at seven position with 13 points. Wynnum will meet Norths next Sunday in a must win game.

Wests were never in the game with Noel Tierney scoring a double and troubling the Wests defence every time he touched the ball.  The Wynnum Manly backline snored all 34 points in a dominant display with Paul Jones, Sean Davis, Darren Whipps, Doug Belford adding to Tierney’s double and rod Doyle kicked five goals.

Wynnum little general Doug Belford was player of the match setting up four of his sides six tries.  Many experts say Wynnum would struggle without Belford’s organising capabilities.

Best for Wynnum were Belford and Tierney with the ever reliable Darren Whipps as consistent as ever.

Scorers: Wynnum Manly 34 (Noel Tierney 2, P.Jones, S.Davis, D.Whipps, D.Belford tries, R.Doyle 5 goals) defeated Wests 10 (W.Reis, W.Treleavan tries, G.Duncan goal).


Round 18 – 20/8/89

Norths 28 d Wynnum Manly 12 (Kougari Oval)

Wynnum Manly centre Brian Naylor played his last match for the Seagulls

Wynnum Manly staged a typical second half comeback before going down to North 28 – 12 in there Winfield Cup Rugby League match against Norths at Kougari Oval on Sunday.  Wynnum finished the season seventh on the ladder with 13 points.  

Norths who are assured of a final four position raced away to a substantial lead of 18 points to nil at the break, this was due to some inept defence and a sloppy attitude.

However at the break coach Brian Walsh must have stirred his players, because Wynnum in the second half for two good tries.  Brian Naylor playing his last game for the club scoring the first try with good support from Noel Tierney and Darren Whipps, Naylor was able to take the final pass and race away from 35 metres out.  The try was converted by Rod Doyle also playing his final game for Wynnum Manly, Rod has signed a two year contract with New South Wales side St George.

Soon after Wynnum went in for their second try of the match, once again good running by Wynnum backs with the key to the success.  Peter Jones was able to dive over after a great passage of play from the backs, Doyle converted the Jones try to take Wynnum to 12 points.

Norths looking like they would be a victim of Wynnum’s come back were able to register to second half tries to put the match beyond any doubt.

Scorers: Norths 28 (D.Crameri 2, P.Cleary, D.Duncan, T.Evans tries, A.Harris 4 goals) defeated Wynnum Manly 12 (B.Naylor, P.Jones tries, R.Doyle 2 goals).


Match Report Sources: The Wynnum Herald 1989 & Paul Comber

Photo Sources: The Wynnum Manly Rugby League Football Club